Can dumping syndrome develop over time?

catalina07
on 3/26/15 11:02 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

It seemed that I wouldn't dump. I am reluctant to say that I have tested it out a bit and maybe I didn't "feel well" but, nothing drastic. I actually thought that maybe what people talk about is not that bad!  Until last week. Something I had eaten before once or twice, made me so so so so so super sick. EXTREMELY nausous, dizzy, sleepy, sweaty, stomach cramping etc etc etc. I was really surprised.  I learned a valuable lesson. I would rather not feel that way ever again!. Three days later, I had grilled KFC because it was the only thing we could think of while we were out after a long day of shopping...Well, that did it to me as well! not AS bad, but close... and I have no idea why...maybe the fat? I don't know. The question is...Can you develop dumping later on after not dumping for four months?  

Revision: Band to Bypass - 11/20/14

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/26/15 11:33 am - OH

First, fat does not cause dumping.  It causes similar symptoms (usually heavier on the intestinal distress and light on the sweating/dizziness/racing heart side of things). Dumping is a specific reaction caused by unprocessed sugar/carbs in the lower intestine.  So the chicken wouldn't cause dumping... and if it was grilled there shouldn't have been any significant amount of fat, either.  It sounds like your body just objected to it (which sometimes does happen).

Yes, some people find that dumping increases over time (although it seems to much more frequently go the other direction), but what usually happens is that people don't dump early out when they're being very cautious about what they're eating but then they get more lax about their sugar content and/or increase their portion sizes ("portion creep" is very easy to not notice if you aren't measuring) down the road and then they finally consume too much sugar and then discover that they do dump.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

White Dove
on 3/26/15 11:42 am - Warren, OH

Dumping is only from sugar and it takes a lot of sugar for me to dump.  Sitting and mindlessly nibbling at a bag of candy until half the bag is gone.  Dumping for me is tightness in my chest and feels like I imagine a heart attack would feel.  It lasts about half an hour.  It has only happened three or four times in seven years.  Small amounts of sugar like one cookie or one piece of candy don't bother me at all.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

seattledeb
on 3/26/15 7:48 pm

I don't know what it was but I ate KFC once after RnY. I have not been back since (5 + years) Sometimes just driving by that place makes me sick.

Yes your body will let you know. I can not eat cereal and milk. I will get on the floor dying sick. I had to try that out about 5 times to learn the lesson.

DebT.

Cheryl N.
on 3/27/15 6:20 am - Des Moines, WA
On March 27, 2015 at 2:48 AM Pacific Time, seattledeb wrote:

I don't know what it was but I ate KFC once after RnY. I have not been back since (5 + years) Sometimes just driving by that place makes me sick.

Yes your body will let you know. I can not eat cereal and milk. I will get on the floor dying sick. I had to try that out about 5 times to learn the lesson.

DebT.

Oh Yeah, I miss eating cereal, I tried it twice but got VIOLENTLY ill each time so I just don't eat it with milk anymore.  I can eat it dry no problems.  It took me like 2 hours to feel better and I hugged the toilet too!

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

TanyaRN
on 3/26/15 11:24 pm - Palm Bay, FL

I have gotten worse as time goes on with blood sugars down as low as 36. Also tolerance to sweets has gotten so much less. I have to take meds to delay absorption of carbs to prevent hypoglycemia

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/26/15 11:48 pm - OH

Is your hypoglycemia severe? How many carbs do you eat in a meal?  I ask because, generally, if our meals are protein heavy and we eat on a regular schedule, even those of us who have hypoglycemia (as opposed to reactive hypoglycemia, which is more common) don't have any trouble.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Paul C.
on 3/27/15 2:55 am - Cumming, GA

For me it has gotten worse over time but that is mainly due to changes I have made in my diet and my body not being used to some of the products I used to utilize.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 359 views