Soft food options??

MickeyDee
on 3/31/15 10:39 am

Yeah, it's not uncommon for that to happen.  Sometimes our tetchy pouches need time.  Just do small tastes at first, to ensure you're going to survive!

Also, my surgeon told me not to stress about calories;  just ensure that I got my protein and water.  Our RNY will ensure we stay at a low amount of intake.  It's very relaxing not to have to do the calorie counting after a lifetime of doing so.  

This is not to say we should do very high-fat or high sugar or refined carbs;  those are the start of a very slippery slope because often they are very easy to eat.  Of course, speaking only for myself, eating a slice of bread made me think I was having a heart attack when it got stuck.  Urrrgh.

Jay D.
on 4/1/15 5:39 am

I tried Wendy's chili yesterday & it hit the spot! I was surprised that I fit an entire small order of it in my pouch. It made me wonder if I'm stretching it. My surgeon said if something gets stuck don't drink water and just to walk around--I'd probably panic too! She also said when we have bread eventually to stick with toast. I wonder if getting stuck is always going to be an issue with doughy or sticky stuff.  Yesterday, I made chicken salad--really basic and bland, and my stomach didn't like it.  I couldn't believe it!

MickeyDee
on 4/2/15 2:46 pm

Do yourself a favor and don't eat something based on the container it is in.  Watch for your High Level Alarm (HLA) and stop when it goes off.  My nose starts to run when my pouch is full;  watch to see if you get the sniffles and then stop eating right then.  Some folks hiccup, others burp.  Learn yours.

I found that when something gets stuck, just letting it 'urp' back up.  It solves the problem and you don't feel like you're going to have a heart attack.

It took me a long time to get where I could eat any bread whatsoever.  You don't need bread anyway;  it's one of the four "white foods" you need to eliminate from your intake.  No rice, bread, pasta, potatoes.

If you try to drink on top of a 'stuck' episode, you may find you regret it immediately.  Your pouch can be very picky and will not hesitate to let you know about it.  Walking didn't work for me, it might for you.  YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/15 8:02 am

I bought a magic bullet. I wish I would have bought it for the soft food faze. You can also add protein powder to your yogurt I like the Syntrax vanilla. It is pretty good. I also like the coffee flavored ones. 

Costco has good pre-made shakes that I would add to my coffee in the morning. I would use that as creamer and add some nutmeg or pumpkin spice.  The coffee can't be too hot or it will clump up. 

One thing I have learned is you may learn to like something you didn't before. 

It gets easier. 

Jay D.
on 3/30/15 11:28 am

**sighhh** thanks for the motivation, I need it!

MickeyDee
on 3/31/15 10:43 am

"Beans, beans, the musical fruit,

The more you eat 'm the more you toot.

The more you toot

The better you feel

Let's have beans for ev'ry meal!"

Beans are good protein as well as good fiber.  Use Devrom to eliminate the vapor odor.

Wendy's chili with onions and cheese is a great lunch option.

Also, refried beans with salsa, cheese and onions.  Yum.

PrayMore
on 3/30/15 8:28 am

Morningstar Farms makes a veggie "crumble" that you can saute with onions, mushrooms - whatever you like and whatever may still be considered soft! I melt a little cheese and saute it with onion and called it a faux cheesesteak. :) 

My plan called for pretty much anything 'fork tender' at that stage and my NUT recommended any meat cooked in a crock pot, really soft and fork tender!

Best wishes to you!

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

Semaenlightened
on 3/30/15 10:18 am
RNY on 03/25/15

Hey....maybe I am not the one to share ideas, because I am such a "newbie"  I had rny last Wednesday and have been home since Saturday afternoon....but I have been getting around 75 grams of protein in a day... and maybe our stage 3 is different...I am on stage 3 too but it is full liquids.  The things that I have really liked/found helpful for protein is the Nectar Unflavored Whey powder.. 1 scoop is 20 grams and I add it to the strained cream of chicken soup...delicious!  Also the Nectar Lemon Ice Tea protein powder is wonderful...I scoop is 23? grams I mix it with 10 oz. of water and I get my fluid and protein.  But by far the most delicious thing I have found is mixing the single serving (5.3 oz?) dannon light and fit 80 calorie, 12 gram protein greek yogurt (vanilla Flavored) with a scoop of Chocolate Whey Protein powder 22 gram protein.  To me it tastes just like chocolate cheesecake filling...

Jay D.
on 3/31/15 5:57 am

Congratulations!  It sounds like our Stage 3 diets are different, I'm 3 weeks out today and this is the one right after liquids. Thankfully you've found some shakes you like, I was mixing PB2 into my shakes for extra protein and when you mix it with a chocolate shake, it's like a delicious Reese's pb cup in liquid form...so so good! So anyway, right now I'm progressed into pureed & soft foods. It's weird trying out different textures and foods, I've gotten sick from weird stuff, and tolerated other things you would think would be rough...going from shakes to trying to derive your protein from food is hard! Is the coffee flavored Syntrax decaf?  Also, is the unflavored whey actually unflavored?  Let me know! I was looking at buying them on Amazon today--thanks!  And good luck to you! If I can be of any help--please don't hesitate

Jay D.
on 3/30/15 11:29 am

Faux cheesesteak sounds amazing right now! I saw that crumble--definitely will try it. Thanks!

Most Active
Recent Topics