One week out.. Surgery a week ago today

momx3
on 4/20/15 7:31 am

so I'm confused. It says yougut 6oz non fat no sugar added( lite) flavored ? I don't get it. I'm in queens ny I don't see these specific options.. Anybody have a brand or lead for me. Please. Also on soups it says puréed low fat...says soups must be smooth puréed broth based soup without pasta or rice. Strained low fat cream based soups or soup that is smooth to begin with like tomato or egg drop? I know eventually will be second nature to me but I feel very lost and no idea what to have in house. I have another week of liquids so would like to add to protien shake but am clueless. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you

rocky513
on 4/20/15 8:31 am - WI

I'm not sure what you are asking?  Are you on full liquids?

Any low sugar yogurt will work. Dannon Light and Fit seems to be the "go to" around here.   For more protein, you can do plain Greek yogurt (double the protein than regular yogurt) and flavor it with a little MIO water enhancer or sugar-free instant pudding mix.  There is no such thing as a "sugar-free" yogurt since they are made from dairy and dairy has lactose, which is a sugar.   Keep the carbs to under 12 grams and you should be fine.

Sugar-free pudding made with milk gives you protein and you could add protein powder to it to really amp it up.

Pureed split pea or lentil soups are a good choice.  Amy's makes a good lentil soup.  You can puree any soup.  Jus****ch the sugar and calorie count.

Protein shakes need to be low carb, low calorie ( usually just 2 or 3 grams of sugar and around 130 calories) and at least 20 grams of protein.  You can get a protein powder and mix it with milk, almond milk, soy milk, cashew milk, or water.  Make sure it is whey isolate, which is lactose-free and easily absorbed.  Some of us develop lactose intolerance after surgery.  If you start feeling really nauseated and have diarrhea, you might have that problem and might have to use some other milk than dairy.  I used Body Fortress Whey Isolate from Walmart.  It's about $21 per container, 30 grams per serving, 2 grams sugar, and 130 calories.   Many choose to use pre-mixed protein drinks in a little four pack.  Premier Protein seems to be popular.  I have never used the pre-mixed because they contain lactose and I am lactose intolerant.  Some use an unflavored protein powder that can be added to savory foods when they get tired of sweet shakes.

I hope this helps!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

momx3
on 4/20/15 8:39 am

Wow thank you! Finally something that makes sense! The nutritionist at surgeon office is so vague. I'm lost. I'm pretty smart but the yougurt thing was making me crazy! I kept reading instructions and they don't sell that! Applesauce for meds said unsweetened I sent husband he came home with unsweetened organic ... Read the back still has sugar .(

but you were a great help ! Thank you for taking time to help me! I heard of Amy's think trader joe has that. As soon as I am more Mobil I'll have a better idea thanks to you ! Many thanks

rocky513
on 4/20/15 8:59 am - WI

Apples and all fruit have natural sugar.  No such thing a sugar-free fruit.  Just FYI, because fruits are high in sugar they should be restricted to one serving daily until you reach your goal weight.  A serving size is 4 strawberries, 1/2 apple or 1/2 banana... 

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

newmein2015
on 4/20/15 9:13 am
RNY on 04/06/15

I know how confusing it can be.  If you are able to, consider making your own soups.  You have more control over the contents/calories/protein and fat, and you can easily puree it in a food processor or blender.  I started the puree stage today.  In preparation, I made a great bean soup in the crockpot yesterday. It was delish.  In terms of yogurt, Ive stuck with Fage plain 0% greek yogurt.  Great protein levels.  Try a few different ones out and see what works best for you. Good luck!  Pretty soon it gets much easier!

momx3
on 4/20/15 9:30 am

Thanks. Can you share your recipe when you have time just to give me an idea. I'm a cook and baker but suddenly feel stupid. Your a week ahead of me. The first 2 weeks dos you stay mainly on protein shakes and herbal tea? I go to dr tomorrow to get drain out. I guess I will feel more human than. Just feeling totally overwhelmed! Thanks

newmein2015
on 4/20/15 9:55 am
RNY on 04/06/15

Well, you are definitely not stupid, LOL but I know how you feel.  I am learning more and more everyday.

In a crock pot, I dumped chick peas and great northern (1 can each), 4 cups of water, 2 vegetable bouillon cubes, a tablespoon of green chiles, onions, celery, parsley, salt, pepper, garlic, spinach and diced tomatoes - sorry I cant give specific amounts for the last few ingredients - i went by taste and experiment and just dumped them in. I let it simmer in the crock pot for a good 6 - 7 hours.  When done, I put in the blender to puree.  I then measured out 4 oz and put in separate containers to grab and go during the week.  It made about 9 servings ( I froze 5 servings)

For my first 2 weeks I did lots of tea, water, protein shakes, sugar free popsicles and soup (premade). It was just easier for me as I learned the process.  

Just take it one day at a time and research.  I did my grocery shopping this weekend in preparation for the puree stage. I found so many great recipes on line.  Cant wait to try some out.  

Good luck!

caliannie
on 4/20/15 3:14 pm - CA
RNY on 04/14/15

I'm a day behind you had surgery on the 14th. I was confused about the no-sugar thing too.  I asked the hospital nutritionist about it before I was discharged. Basically stay away from the granulated sugar we're used to. The artificial sweetners are what is in the sugar free products. Stevia, Splenda, Aspartame etc. Sugar-free jello and sugar-free popsicles are a life saver. Crystal Light To Go + a little tea help get the fluids in. Plain water doesn't like me right now. Our programs sound similar. I begin full fluids today. I went shopping and bought a can of Progresso Split Pea soup and Lentil soup. You won't be able to eat much so 1 can of each is probably good for 3 or 4 meals. I tossed the split pea in the blender to smooth it out. Butternut squash and tomato soups were also on my list. I happy just to be having something warm to eat.  I also bought plain Chobani Greek yogurt. I liked it before surgery so don't anticipate an issue with it after. Yoplait has Yoplait light and Chobani Simply 100 uses Stevia and the Yoplait light has sucralose (Splenda). I just bought 1 of each just in case they didn't sit well. You can get the Premier Protein shakes at Costco. They are pricey but drinkable. I tried Isopure and didn't like it. I also bought some Cream of Wheat and Lactaid both are on my list. I plan to use the Lactaid in place of milk for my protein smoothie. I never had any problem with milk before surgery but didn't really want to chance it this early in recovery and my program lists Lactaid or soy milk. Sugar-free pudding is also on my list this week. Not sure I want to try it out. I'm kind of tired of sweet stuff. Who knew I would ever say that. I think the next few weeks my blender will be my friend. Good luck.

Carpe Diem!

Height: 5'5"  HW: 237 SW: 237 CW:138 GW: 134   M1: -31  M2: -14  M3:-12  M4: -10  M5: -10  M6: -5 M7: -4 M8: -5 M9: -5 M10: -2 M11: M12: -1

momx3
on 4/21/15 1:50 am

Hi just got drain out. She said still liquids one more week. Then I can add in purée stuff yougurt soup I wasn't really lactose intolerant before but am worried about that too. So are you like back to normal life ? I'm not driving yet. My son drove me to dr. I rest I'm up every five minutes but especially today after she tore drain out. Ouch. Then had first bowel movement. I feel exhausted! I'm 50 mom of 3 amazing sons. But don't have energy back I'm used to doing literally everything but at this moment I'm just happy to get threw day I'm lucky I'm not working right now. I can't imagine. My surgeon is awesome but no nonsense type person not much sympathy at all so just curious on someone else's situation if you don't mind sharing. Thanks Toni 

Poodlemac
on 4/21/15 4:27 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I like Fage Greek yogurt or Siggis. They are delicious to me now, but I wasn't a big yogurt person before. I also really enjoy Atkins protein shakes and they have 3 gm of fiber which seems to really help keep things moving , surprisingly. I also like Premier Protein shakes, vanilla are particularly tasty. Best price I've found on them is at Costco, 18 for $25.  I never liked cream soups, but in the full liquids stage I found them very satisfying. Sometimes it seems like everything was sweet so the savory soups were a welcome change! I'd opt for lowfat as opposed to fat free as the ff are more processed and generally have more carbs. Everyone's plans are SO different!  The nutritionist at my dr office was a waste of time. I met the hospital nutritionist and loved her!  She and my surgeon have far better, more realistic advise than the first. Best of luck to you!  I look forward to your success stories!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views