Curious to know

Lily2
on 4/26/15 1:52 pm

I know this will sound like a silly question to some but here goes. I've read for months now here and in other forums how after bariatric surgery total regain is possible.  I understand how it can happen but my question is, how is it mechanically possible?  If the majority of our stomachs have been bypassed ( but is still in us) than when there is regain let's say all of 100 lbs or more, where is there room for two stomachs?  And does the pouch become another entire stomach?  Again, sorry for this question but it's something I've always wondered about.

Mary Gee
on 4/26/15 3:15 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Well, when you regain weight, the weight does not stay in your stomach.  I mean, if you regain 100 pounds, the weight is distributed throughout your body.  Food passes through your stomach.  It ends up in your hips, your thighs, your arms, your belly, your face, your feet, etc.  Does that make sense?

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Lily2
on 4/26/15 11:14 pm

it does, but can the pouch become as large as our stomach?

Lily2
on 4/26/15 11:18 pm

Ooops, sorry, I should have scrolled down to see that NYMom answered this question for me.

SkinnyScientist
on 4/26/15 11:28 pm

"Food passes through your stomach.  It ends up in your hips, your thighs, your arms, your belly, your face, your feet, etc."

No it doesnt.  The food doesnt end up on her arms, belly, face and feet. Well. Maybe if she eats like a toddler.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Patm
on 4/26/15 11:47 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Just out of curiosity where do you think the weight will end up if you re-gain? Personally I am finding on my stomach and hips but it will distribute everywhere. The weight you lost where did it come off from?

Lily2
on 4/27/15 12:37 am

I was asking this in regards to our stomachs/ pouches.  If  they in fact enlarge enough to be considered a second stomach.  I certainly know where those calories end up on me...I have what I like to call my child bearing hips....unfortunately 

Patm
on 4/27/15 12:42 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Hi Lily2. My comment wasn't for you but Skinny scientist. Her reply made no sense. Itoo have the hips from having kids andalso the grey hair LOL

SkinnyScientist
on 4/27/15 6:03 am

I was laughing at the funny picture that "FOOD" ending up on your hips, face and etc painted in my head.  The initial poster meant weight but wrote food.  So I was envisaging an adult wandering around with food all over their faces. You know, how kids eat. It ends up on their faces, hair, hands, etc.

Interestingly, I l have lost weight in all the places. Unfortunately, the "food" didnt stay in my boobs. Theya re little A cups!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Chilipepper
on 4/27/15 10:31 pm

I understand your question. You are talking about your blind stomach and your pouch. There is no food in the blind pouch so it takes very little room. The pouch can enlarge but never to the size of your original stomach. The absorption of calories is where you gain weight. Not the actual girth of the stomach. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views