Chewing and Spitting Out--Ughh

IndieDiva
on 4/24/15 10:51 pm

I am new to this site and WLS. I had RNY 11 days ago. I am on pureed foods and sick of it that I think there is n point in really spending 30 mts to eat it. Just trying to drink the  protein shakes (which are soo sweet). It is not easy for sure but I have gotten into this habit of tasting food I make for my family by chewing a mouthful and spitting it out. Just so I can get a mouth feel of solid food and tastes I miss soo much.

Is this bad?

RNY 4/14/15  SW 294.4   Ht 5 ft 1

Eggface
on 4/25/15 1:22 am, edited 4/25/15 5:48 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Well... It's not a good idea... a few reasons... behavior like that (especially if it's foods that you shouldn't really have on your plan even when you can chew) and only you know this... could indicate some food addiction stuff going on that you'll want to discuss with your bariatric team's therapist... you don't want to trade one eating disorder for another.

Biologically... chewing is the first part of the digestive process and actually starts your body thinking its going to get food...  salivary glands produce saliva, pancreas produces insulin, liver produces gastric acid, etc. but then it doesn't get it... it screws with the natural processes of your body. Most of us already have pretty messed up metabolisms from a lot of trips on the diet rollercoaster. I'd personally use WLS as a way to start fresh. 

When you feel like doing this... I'd look at why... am I hungry? Eat. Now: Shake whatever. Future: Dense protein. Or drink water... sometime hungry is actually thirsty. If you aren't hungry and it's more of an emotional thing... then yeah talk to someone about it.

If it's simply missing crunch and texture... well... we have all been there, done that. Get busy, leave the house for a walk, whatever you need to do to make it through these few weeks.  

Either way... the chew & spit... not a good idea. Just my 2 cents.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

lynnc99
on 4/25/15 1:48 am

To cut right to the chase, "chew and spit" is just a variation on disordered eating. 

Which, of course, we are good at. We only know disordered eating. That's what took us through the door of a surgeon's office.

Now it's time to follow the rules set forth by a surgeon.

Not to make our own rules. We made our own rules for years - decades for me - and look where it got us.

What you describe is not going to lead you down a good path in the long run. This is the time to take advantage of your upcoming "honeymoon" phase of weight loss but I can personally attest, almost 6 years out, that the old bad habits are lurking in the shadows and waiting for you. They are patient and they will attack. So it's time to break them entirely.

11 days out I know you can't imagine it, but the truth is that your relationship with food will change. You think now that you will "miss" certain foods - they are, after all, your friends! Some of those foods will come back into the picture, but others you'll find you can live very nicely without (just like some friends come and go over the years...). But first you have to give it a chance.

Shakes get tiresome. We all know it, and we've all been there. Change up flavors or brands, dose it with some strong decaf coffee or SF DiSani syrup to take away some of the cloying sweetness. Shakes and purees (yuck!) and soft foods aren't forever. (But yeah, I still have a shake for breakfast every day.)

Again, I'll be direct (some may say too much so, but let's get real here). It's time to reach inside and be strong. You've done a big, big thing in having surgery. That's only the beginning. The battle is now ON. And what you learn now will help you fight the WAR in the long run of maintenance. 

christinerocks
on 4/25/15 2:43 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

I think I understand some of what you're feeling, I'm 19 days out. It looks like the vets here are providing  the answer you suspected all along.

I have no magic answers but I love the one above about finding your strength within.  You are strong enough to get yourself through surgery.  I've read that a very tiny percentage of people eligible for WLS actually even try to have it. And a small percent stage of those who try for it are approved and actually have the surgery.  So you're in a minority of strong people. Dig deep and find the strength and courage that got you through to this point. Purée isn't the greatest stuff I've ever eaten but it's a heck of a lot better than just liquids! And there are some decent things to try - read Eggface's blog and search this site for ideas.  Eventually, food variety returns and with that comes the need to be even stronger while we stick to plan.  So let's dig deep IndyDiva! We can do this! 

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/25/15 5:38 am - OH

I'm not sure where you read that only a small percentage of people who seek out WLS are approved for it, because -- assuming they have insurance that covers the procedure or they can self-pay -- only a very small percentage are DENIED surgery (usually for medical reasons that make the surgery unsafe, and occasionally because of psychological issues).  

It is true that only a small percentage of people who medically qualify for WLS actually have it, but it is not primarily because they don't even "try to have it".  Yes, some aren't interested in having surgery (and if someone isn't  committed to changing their life after surgery, it isn't going to help to have it), but MANY who are eligible don't have it only because they don't have insurance that will cover it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

christinerocks
on 4/25/15 6:41 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Yes, you're right.  Let me try to clarify.  I didn't mean that a small percentage are approved, only that a small percentage who are eligible even pursue WLS. I was told that only a percentage of those who start the process actually follow through and complete the preparation and have the surgery.  As you said, for some it's a matter of insurance and finances, and for others it's a choice once they realize the commitment required.  This was something my program stated at some point in my pre-op classes.  

Perhaps what should have said to the OP was, it takes courage to have the surgery itself.  We need to tap into that courage and continue to steel ourselves for the rest of the journey - they rest of our lives - and follow through.  

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Kathyjs
on 4/25/15 3:57 am

As a long time vet I feel the need to impress on you, you are not on  'another diet ! This isnow your new life. Chewing and spitting are going to lead you down a road you don't want to go. If you feel hunger now , drink water. The time will come when you can eat a good balanced meal only much smaller portions. Good luck

NYMom222
on 4/25/15 3:58 am
RNY on 07/23/14

You have gotten great feedback. You will get past this. Have a SF Popsicle. That was my savior to having something solid in my mouth during this period. At this point not all meals should take 30 minutes to eat. The point is to eat slowly. If you are only taking 3 or 4 bites you don't need to take 30 minutes. There is an app for the phone called eat slower that has a timer you can set to go off at intervals to tell you when to take a bite. That helped me. The only reason to chew and spit is when you realize you have taken one too many bites and to swallow means you will have eaten too much. You can do this!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/25/15 5:31 am - OH

What Shelly and Lynn said.  Chewing and spitting not only can be indicative of a food addiction that needs attention in order for you to be successful long term, but it can lead to a serious eating disorder down the road.  

I had a client a couple of years ago who got completely "hooked" on chewing and spitting (it was how she could give in to her food cravings but still control her weight) and she finally came in for help when she couldn't even go out to eat with friends because she had such a hard time actually swallowing her food!  The act of having to swallow everything she put in her mouth caused her extreme anxiety. That is how serious it can become.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/15 12:21 am
On April 25, 2015 at 12:31 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl, The PhD Version wrote:

What Shelly and Lynn said.  Chewing and spitting not only can be indicative of a food addiction that needs attention in order for you to be successful long term, but it can lead to a serious eating disorder down the road.  

I had a client a couple of years ago who got completely "hooked" on chewing and spitting (it was how she could give in to her food cravings but still control her weight) and she finally came in for help when she couldn't even go out to eat with friends because she had such a hard time actually swallowing her food!  The act of having to swallow everything she put in her mouth caused her extreme anxiety. That is how serious it can become.

Lora

I thought it was disgusting that people would chew food up and spit it out. I had no idea that it could turn into someone not being able to swallow their food. That is scary.

Thank you for sharing that Lora. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?