I'm curious!

Marys1521
on 5/15/15 4:14 pm

How long did you continue to take your anti- nausea medicine after surgery. I know we each are different. The protein shakes are making me sick!

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/15 5:56 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I actually never took any, but one of my friends who had VSG in December still has to take Zofran occasionally. Have you tried different brands and flavors of protein shakes? I couldn't stand the Premier ones even before surgery.

Jessca
on 5/15/15 5:58 pm
RNY on 04/20/15

I didn't take any either, sorry!

HW 313 SW 273 CW 208

M1 - 25 M2 - 10 M3 - 12 M4 - 9 M5 - 5 M6 - 4

Chilipepper
on 5/15/15 6:05 pm

There is no time limit on taking it. If those shakes don't agree with you there a hundreds of others you can try

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Sheri R.
on 5/15/15 6:08 pm - Aberdeen, WA

I had super severe nausea right after surgery.  I actually had to stay an extra day in the hospital because of the nausea and my oxygen level.  I am 5 weeks postop and have only taken it twice, once the day after I came home from the hospital and once a couple of weeks ago because I got dumping syndrome from canned Spam spread, lol.  That will teach me to not read every label! 

Chilipepper
on 5/15/15 6:57 pm

Dumping is caused by sugar.  You may have had a bad reaction to the high fat in the spam but dumping comes from sugar intake

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Sheri R.
on 5/15/15 4:36 pm, edited 5/15/15 4:37 pm - Aberdeen, WA

It is also caused by high-fat-content foods.  You can check out one source here:  http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/dumping-syndrome.html  but I happen to know that I got it from the fat in the food that i ate. 

hl1524
on 5/15/15 6:50 pm - Austin, TX

Until I was at the purée stage. 

RNY 8/27/2014

rocky513
on 5/15/15 8:20 pm - WI

Could you be lactose intolerant?  Check the label on the protein you are drinking.  If it contained whey concentrate, it contains lactose.  Look for a protein powder that is whey isolate.  It should say 99% lactose free on the label.  If you are mixing it with milk, you could try it with unsweetened almond, soy or cashew milk.  I mix mine into my coffee in the morning.

I was sick for three months before I figured out that I was lactose intolerant.  I can eat yogurt and cheese, but milk makes me very sick.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Marys1521
on 5/15/15 8:38 pm

Thank you. I'm using the isolate, but the thought of more of it is turning me green. I know I've got to conquer this, but....?