WHY are ppl getting frustrated with me in the revision group?

Grim_Traveller
on 5/18/15 8:42 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Five Guys have milkshakes now that they will add bacon to.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

seattledeb
on 5/18/15 11:03 pm

I've been reading a lot of low carb blogs looking for recipes. If I see that coffee/coconut oil recipe one more time...  Bullet my ass.

SkinnyScientist
on 5/20/15 4:39 am

"I know many who add butter to their coffee to get their fat in daily."

_OMG! NOW I have seen everything. I truly have. Butter!?!?!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Seyenna
on 5/24/15 4:22 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Yes, this is really a thing. And it's everywhere. You can call it the latest "trend", I guess. 

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

Chilipepper
on 5/18/15 8:39 am

Regain is possible with any surgery.  The malabsorption of the RNy helped you get into a range where reaching your goal was possible.  The malabsorption factor of the DS, while is greater and more permanent, I don't care what surgery you had, you regain at the same rates with either surgery if you put processed carbs in your mouth. Period. So the length of malabsorption doesn't really factor in.  It's the restriction with either surgery and your level of self control that determines your success/failure rate  

I caution new post ops and people recently entering maintence that this is for the long haul and we all slip and we all eventually face obstacles.  It's how you deal with those obstacles in the long term that makes the difference  

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

SkinnyScientist
on 5/20/15 4:41 am

we all slip and we all eventually face obstacles.  

-So right. I got to maintaince.  Things were going well. Then I totally ate afaghan (sic) and was amazed by how much I could gain off of one meal of processed carbs (liek the bread).

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Karen M.
on 5/17/15 10:54 pm, edited 5/17/15 11:06 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I would imagine they're mentioning the DS because it's a natural progression-step from the VSG. You already have the first part of a DS (sleeve), the DS is the "switch" (intestinal). It would be actually an easier surgery, considering what you already have. Anyway...

Revising to RNY is of course an option and trust me, at 9 years post-op RNY, I am a huge supporter of RNY, but I will say that the DS post-op "diet" is not much different than what I eat - high protein, low carb, healthy fat. "Added benefit of dumping syndrome" - I don't and never have considered dumping a benefit, more a side-effect of the surgery I had. Keep in mind that more recent studies show that possibly only 30% of RNY'ers dump.

Do lots of research and definitely investigate the DS - it's really not as "radical" as many believe and shows excellent long-term results, as does the RNY.

Edited to add:  Sorry, meant to say this as well:  You already have a valuable weight loss tool in the sleeve. While you're taking the time to research your options, get back to basics and start at the beginning again with your sleeve. Plan daily menus, measure, weigh, count protein and carbs - you should know the drill. Your ability to eat "properly" (on plan, all the time) is essential with any weight loss surgery. Start now.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

zann50
on 5/18/15 1:24 pm
On May 18, 2015 at 5:54 AM Pacific Time, Karen M. wrote:

I would imagine they're mentioning the DS because it's a natural progression-step from the VSG. You already have the first part of a DS (sleeve), the DS is the "switch" (intestinal). It would be actually an easier surgery, considering what you already have. Anyway...

Revising to RNY is of course an option and trust me, at 9 years post-op RNY, I am a huge supporter of RNY, but I will say that the DS post-op "diet" is not much different than what I eat - high protein, low carb, healthy fat. "Added benefit of dumping syndrome" - I don't and never have considered dumping a benefit, more a side-effect of the surgery I had. Keep in mind that more recent studies show that possibly only 30% of RNY'ers dump.

Do lots of research and definitely investigate the DS - it's really not as "radical" as many believe and shows excellent long-term results, as does the RNY.

Edited to add:  Sorry, meant to say this as well:  You already have a valuable weight loss tool in the sleeve. While you're taking the time to research your options, get back to basics and start at the beginning again with your sleeve. Plan daily menus, measure, weigh, count protein and carbs - you should know the drill. Your ability to eat "properly" (on plan, all the time) is essential with any weight loss surgery. Start now.

Zann

VGS- 2015

selhard
on 5/18/15 6:05 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Wow, consider yourself fortunate to been given excellent answers from knowledgable and forthright contributors to this forum.  Their advice and insight could not have been conveyed any better.  Here's hoping you re-read their answers until their thoughts become your thoughts.

ladygodiva1228
on 5/18/15 6:22 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On May 18, 2015 at 12:39 AM Pacific Time, Jenniflower75 wrote:

I had the VSG two years ago, I never lost near the weight I was supposed to and have gained most of it back. I want to have revision to RNY and the only two responses I got were negative. Can anyone tell me why DS is better than RNY? I don't understand. YOu would think that with me already having the sleeve that the RNY would work wonders without all of the severe risks of DS but still giving me malabsorption with the added benefit of dumping syndrom. DS you have to eat different than all other surgeries eating high fat to not lose too much which scares me cuz that can't be healthy for your heart and I'm a light weight. I only have 64 lbs to lose to be at the high end of normal weight range. My BMI is only 36.1... Please I need some advice and insight. Thank you

I think as a start it would be best to figure out why you never lost near the weight you were supposed to. 

Did you track your daily intake?  Did you start eating around the sleeve further out?  Did you let carbs and unhealthy eating back into your life?

If your sleeve is still fine I personally would work with that instead of going for a revision at this point. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Most Active
Recent Topics