x-post, long: hypoglycaemia or something else???

new_me180
on 5/21/15 4:14 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Well I have breakfast everyday between 7:30 am and 8. Today was no different and i had egg salad on half a flat out light. I made it myself and it consisted of 2 boiled eggs, 1tsp of regular mayo, mustard, onion, s&p and celery and i only used half the egg mixture. I ate it no problems and at around 10:30am i went to an appt at the mechanics. I had a cup of coffee, black with sweetener and i had my 3 1/2 cup water bottle that i was sipping on while i waited.

At around 12:15am i was talking to the guy and all of a sudden i started to feel unwell. Everything around me went white, my hearing was going, i felt nauseous, warm and fuzzy all over like i was going to pass out. It was the strangest feeling ever. I thought since it was almost my lunch time to maybe eat a slice of cheese. So, i started taking little bites of the cheese but was nauseated so i stopped for a while. I decided to go out for some fresh air but that made the situation worse. I though to eat the rest of the cheese thinking it was low sugar but that didn't work and the symptoms came back again with a vengeance and i felt i was dying, it was that scary so after 25mins of this and i wasn't getting better, i had the the guy call for an ambulance.

When the paramedics came 5 mins later, i had started to feel better but, still a bit woozy. They checked my vitals and BP 97/57, after 5 mins 85/49 and then manual was 96/56. ekg was fine, pulse was low 55-59 and blood sugar was 5.1. After another 10mins i felt better, not ok but not bad enough to go to the hosp. Visited my pcp later in the day and he doesn't think it was a glucose episode but, my inter cranial hypotension acting up. I think it was the former and was wondering if anyone here had any similar episodes? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

NYMom222
on 5/21/15 5:31 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Do you take medication for high blood pressure? If you do... thinking it might need to be reduced.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

new_me180
on 5/21/15 5:40 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Nope, never had. Only vitamins. BP was never an issue for me pre-op. Always 112-120/80.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/21/15 5:45 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

For what it's worth, it sounds like low blood pressure to me. I had orthostatic hypotension early out, and passed out a couple of times, with exactly the symptoms you describe.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

new_me180
on 5/21/15 5:56 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks grim. I had ortho's done with no change in bp or heart rate. I'm almost 19 months out and i can't find any rhyme or reason to it. Have had low bp for a while with no symptoms what so ever.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/22/15 3:04 pm

getting glucometer will help. I carry one with me all the time.  some days my symptoms are hypoglycemia- other time s- is just low BP. 

Low BP - if you had it low before surgery - now it may be even lower.  I have to get enough salt and mineral in my diet. Since I don't eat a lot of food, I also don't get enough sodium unless I make a choice to get some more... There was time that I used to add salt to everything, even on normal foods. 

drinking water - but not getting enough sodium, potassium,..etc really makes us get v low BP. 

And sometimes when I get very low BS - I have to force myself to eat... I do carry glucose tablets with me... and nut butter... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

new_me180
on 5/22/15 5:37 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks H.a.l.a. for the suggestion. I drink a LOT of water and i mix it up and also use mio sport every day and drink broth as well. I also add salt to my food because i was told too much water will also deplete my electrolytes.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 442 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views