Home from rny....only had surgery on may 26th...question

kim_pei
on 6/3/15 5:16 pm - Canada

I am eating the diet as layer out for me and measuring everything.  How much water am I supposed to get in each day....really stuck at about 24 ounces so far?

samanthalc
on 6/3/15 5:23 pm
with

I was told to shoot for 38 oz, then 48, then 64.  Basically I was told to drink as often as I could, but small sips to not stress my sleeve (I had a VSG).  It was really tough for me, and I really felt my swollen stomach.  And then one day, almost miraculously, I could suddenly handle an sip easily, then another, and another.  It's still early yet, but keep drinking.  Becoming dehydrated is no fun.

BTW, my target daily intake in ounces included any protein shakes.

kim_pei
on 6/3/15 5:38 pm - Canada

Ok good to know...they have me on an all food diet with only an occasional protein drink. I am able to tolerate everything so far...oatmeal,  cream of wheat...milk...yogurt cream soups..broths..jello and applesauce.  Granted it's small amounts and I take my time.  So far no issues swallowing and I go slowly.  Just feel too full to get all the water in.....thanks so much!

ahlthrmom
on 6/3/15 6:48 pm
RNY on 05/26/15 with

I had surg the 26th as well. Im on a liquid diet still. I was told I needed 64oz of noncaloric liquids per day. I notice I drink the most when taking my chewable vitamins. I'm taking in 4oz protein drink every three hours, total of 4 a day. I always have a water bottle next to me or in my hand and sip all day. Morning coffee, herbal tea, and anything else with no calories counts.

Question for you... Was your surgery laproscopic or open? If lap, did you get pain in your shoulders and if so, for how long?

kim_pei
on 6/3/15 7:00 pm - Canada

Hi!  Yes mine was laproscopic. And yes I have had pain in myleft side under my ribs shooting into my shoulder for days...the told me gas pain does it  and the fact the majority of my surgery is on the left.  I also had a big hernia repair anda reflux repair....I was in the hhospital for a week due to a small hemorrhage and difficulty breathing.  Then on the 3rd day I took an allergic reaction to the dilaudid and was so sick.  I never really started my recovery until last Friday. ..since then...med free...sore but tolerable. ...Kim

Grim_Traveller
on 6/3/15 7:02 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

24 is really low. Most plans say 64 is their minimum. More than that is better.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

mper714
on 6/4/15 7:57 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 05/26/15
Mary_SC
on 6/4/15 8:08 am

After I had RNY a travel glass became glued to my side. I took it everywhere and would sip as often as I could. Today I'm six years out and its still an accessory I take with me every time I leave the house. You're not even two weeks out so don't stress and "just keep sipping" as much as you can - it will get easier. 

NYMom222
on 6/4/15 2:32 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

If I read your blog right, you are about 10 days out? While it is tough in the beginning, by 2 weeks out You should be pushing to get at least 6-8 glasses. 48-64 ounces. Dehydration is more of a danger in the beginning, so it is important to be drinking.... The dieticians in the office said 'work up to it'... but really need to get more than 24oz at this point. My friend who had the surgery kept complaining she wasn't feeling well for the first 2 months... the surgeon just sat hr down and looked her in the eyes and told her she wasn't drinking enough. Drinking water will make you feel better. In the beginning I found it easier to get at least 16oz in - in the morning before i ate anything. Once I ate it seemed harder. Set an alarm after you eat for 30 minutes to remind you to start drinking again. Just do it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

robinreinhardt
on 6/4/15 3:30 pm

Water will be your new best friend. Good luck.

Robin