HORRIBLE Constipation!

SuzieQuzie
on 10/5/15 12:00 pm

I can relate. Some days I thought I would die right there on the pottie. I had my surgery in January I went through the same thing. Still once in a while I will have this problem. I look at postings and what people were doing Miralax, benefiber etc. But I was so worried early on about calories that I didn't want to take those products. I realize now that those few calories were not going to make a huge difference but back then... I use a product called docusol, it is a mini enema, I mean mini and it says it works within in 15 minutes. It usually works within 5 minutes for me. It is very gentle. It just seems to break up the large mass.

NYMom222
on 10/5/15 7:31 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I am going to buy that docusol, thanks for sharing... good to have on hand for when things get bad....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

peachpie
on 10/5/15 12:53 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Reading this thread makes me thank my lucky stars for my regularity!! I had invested a small fortune in benefiber, stool softners and Mirlax, none of which I need.

To those struggling I've heard "smooth move tea" helps.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

tphillips117
on 10/5/15 1:04 pm
with

Oh you guys! I'm so sorry to hear that this seems like a common theme! Good God, I cannot take anymore. I felt like I was going to have to push my insides right out. I took some miralax this morning and will continue everyday until I see my doctor on the 16th. I'd rather have diarrhea than a repeat of that experience any day of the week! :(

MickeyDee
on 10/5/15 6:25 pm

Definitely use stool softeners and Miralax and/or Milk of Magnesia. I also found it very helpful to walk; the action of walking seems to "roll" the feces into smaller, thinner stools which makes passing them easier.

agriggs
on 10/10/15 8:55 am

I really agree with all who are on the Miralax, it is daily necessary for me - along with the water and walking! My surgeon agrees it is necessary for many on a daily basis. I never had an issue before either, but at -107 down since end of April, I will take it!! Good luck to you and try to stay positive, you will be glad of it later! :-)

Height: 5'9" SW: 360 Age: 44 RNY: 5/11/15 1st month post: -25; 2nd: -19; 3rd: -19; 4th: -11; 5th: -16

killinmesmalls77
on 10/5/15 2:52 pm - MN
RNY on 05/07/15

I have to take Miralax every day and I take a stool softener probably once a week. I also took Milk of Magnesia to help get things going. And I have suppositories on hand now just in case I ever get in that painful situation again.

Hope you feel better soon. Constipation sucks.

HW: 276 SW: 254.1 GW: 125 CW: 154.5

TimeForMe61
on 10/5/15 5:00 pm - Lancaster, PA
RNY on 01/22/15

Keep ahead of it everyone!! I had a bowel impaction that caused a fissure which had to be surgically fixed after 2 months of excruciating pain that no pain meds would alleviate. After surgery, I take 2 dulcolax and 1 colace every night. Strangely, miralax gives me more diarrhea than the dulcolax does so that's what the colorectal surgeon recommended. And when I say the fissure was painful, I mean it... Emergency too painful to get a shot of narcotics when it would get awful.

sweetpotato1959
on 10/5/15 8:25 pm

I would use what necessary to get a BM at least every other day, and I would add pro and pre-biotics to my gut. Get one with huge amounts of cultures,. ...and know,It may take a couple of weeks for you to see a real difference. I don't have a daily issue, but intermittent one, and probiotics have seemed to be the thing that helps keeps me to some form of normal... 20 yrs post op, a combination surgery.

Denise
selhard
on 10/6/15 7:44 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Here are suggestions you may want consult an expert on with some: change the required 64 ounces of water to 100 ounces of water per day, drink warm water first thing when waking, take a Miralax dose either once or twice per day, take a Magnesium supplement, use a probiotic in pill form or drink/eat probiotic foods like yogurt or Kefir, exercise daily, lessen stressors, use a fiber supplement, use Senekot-S brand laxative if you haven't been diligent or sense the need, consider a prescription laxative from your doctor, and research other suggestions online. My constipation started at 3 months out and I regret not treating it like an on-going issue. It came back to haunt me when I eased up on some of the fore-mentioned remedies.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views