Some questions.

wannabesupermomm
y

on 10/19/15 7:26 pm - New York, NY
RNY on 10/25/16 with

I have a slew of doctors appointments scheduled this week to start my journey for WLS (I am thinking RNY but I don't know if doctor will recommend otherwise). I have a couple of questions for those who have made it through the experience, and can equip me with the right answers so I know what to ask the doc!

So here goes.

I have a 4 month old baby! I have no idea how old he will be when I get around to surgery, but will I be able to care for him post op? I have read a range of answers-and I know I won't know till Im there- but what is realistic?

Was any one else terrified of surgery? I have terrible anxiety and I want to vomit just thinking about being put under, have a breathing tube, etc... :(

How long were you in hospital post op?

Lastly, my understanding of the post op diet requires drinking 1-2 oz every hour, or something like that, but it seems to be monitored by hour. What happens if you miss an hour? (Sometimes my baby and I just won't see eye to eye, and I can't get around to what I have planned!)

TIA

MickeyDee
on 10/20/15 12:06 am

Baby care: Is there a Granma in the house? I'm willing to bet a family member would be OK with being on hand for a week or so.

Terrified about surgery: tell your surgeon and anesthesiologist; they will be happy to give you some joy juice that will have you totally calm. You'll go nighty-night and when you wake up you'll be on the other side.

I was in the hospital for two nights; up and walking as soon as the nurse would let me out of bed, partaking of the nuclear yellow jello and dishwater flavored "beef broth", even by the teaspoonful and walking walking walking.

As long as you get in the necessary liquids, and you can do it without setting an alarm, don't sweat the small stuff. I kept five 20 oz bottles of water handy (room-temp) and sipped constantly. I never had a problem with dehydration. If you start feeling dizzy, or nauseated, up your fluids. It doesn't just have to be plain water; some folks like to add lemon or lime juice, or drink herbal teas, or chomp on sf popcicles. It all counts as liquid.

You may have problems with constipation; most people do. Stock up on stool softeners, Miralax, and Milk of Magnesia. If you have problems, begin using them.

Don't let the future scare you; it's all a great trip.

Doingrightin2015
on 10/20/15 2:25 am
RNY on 03/10/15

I have to say Mickey D said it well!

I agree you will probably want someone to help with your baby for a week or two. My concern would be the lifting. Ask the Dr. How long you would not be able to lift your baby. That first week I was tired...wanted to sleep a lot. The second week was much better and was back to work 1 day shy of being 2 weeks post-op.

I was not terrified of surgery...it was something I wanted so bad for so long. I had already had a couple of surgeries so I was not afraid. I do not recall any breathing tubes. If I had one it was put in after I was a sleep and taken out before I came too.

I was only in the hospital 1 night. All I had in the hospital was a crystal light that I sipped on an even had to water it down it was so sweet. Big thing to remember is to walk walk walk,,,,,even if you don't want to. I walked a lot and never had any problem with the gas issue.

Once home I sleep and drank that first week, that was about it.

You will be fine and will love the new life you are working on obtaining!!

Best wishes to you!

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

hyder1ab
on 10/20/15 5:08 am
RNY on 05/06/15

My baby was just shy of six months when I had RNY this year. It wasn't a super big deal, more just co-ordinating while I was in the hospital. But, she wasn't on the move either. You may need more helpe because at the very least your baby will provably be crawling which adds a level of difficulty. And, they will also weigh more than you should be carrying depending on age. You will probably need help if your partner works.

Deanna798
on 10/20/15 10:11 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I was terrified of surgery, as well. It was the first time I'd been under general anesthesia, and there are risks worth any surgery. But honestly, it all happened so fast. One minute they were chatting with me, the next I was waking up and everything had gone beautifully.

As for the baby, that's tough. I had a 19 month old and I couldn't pick him up. Street my two week check up, the doc said I could hold him but someone had to hand him to me. I'll be honest and say that I snuck and picked him up a few times, but my husband was a stickler, and baby went to daycare everyday that I was off work. Lucky thing is that grandma is daycare, so it's free.

Good luck, I hope everything works out for you. I'm 2.5 months out and even though I'm not at my goal, I don't regret a thing.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Most Active
Recent Topics