1 year post surgery updated picture and what I have learned along the way

ClaudiaW
on 10/22/15 10:16 pm - Rockwall, TX

Today has been one year from my surgery. I have lost 100lbs. I have went from a size 22 to a size 8. I have learned alot during this journey. I have learned no two people are the same no matter if they have had the same surgery. I have had to learn what works for me. I have learned to listen to my inner voice. I had several bumps in the road but I have overcome them. I would be lying if I said this was a easy journey but I promise it has been well worth all the struggles. I had a rough start and several weeks post op I was convinced I made a mistake but I kept doing what little I could and it did get better. I had many thoughts after this surgery so here are a few answers. Yes you will be able to eat cake. it might not be a whole piece but for me one bit fills my need on special times. I have developed a real appreciation for good quality clothes. I do not feel guilty on spending money on good shoes and clothes. It does really matter in the long run. I can not stress how important having a great doctors office staff, feel free to ask me any questions if you have them i would love to help

NYMom222
on 10/23/15 4:23 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Happy Surgiversary! Great job.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

killinmesmalls77
on 10/23/15 6:51 am - MN
RNY on 05/07/15

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing a piece of your story.

HW: 276 SW: 254.1 GW: 125 CW: 154.5

robinreinhardt
on 10/23/15 12:05 pm

Claudia,

Thanks for the post and pictures. You look beautiful and so happy. You are so right! I have also had a few bumps in the road. And this is totally not easy. But so worth the effort. I had RNY 10 months ago and have been so thankful for doing so well. Best decision of my life.

Have a great week end.

Robin

Riverhen
on 10/23/15 6:23 pm

You sound like a very insightful person. I will be honest I am struggling with my choice to go forward and have this procedure. I am older, 58 and have lived a long time in this body. I know that by having RNY my risk of disease goes down but it is worth giving up the "life" I have lived.

Was it really worth it for you? How is your social life? I am worrying that it will be such a change that I won't even know my own self.

MickeyDee
on 10/23/15 10:53 pm

I was 59 y.o. when I had the surgery. Best thing I've ever done for myself. I'm not going to kid you; you won't look like you did at the age of 22 y.o., but your life will be better for the rest of your time on Earth.

Not a bad trade-off.

ClaudiaW
on 10/26/15 5:38 pm - Rockwall, TX

Im going to be completely honest with my response. I was 47 when I had surgery. I was 252 lbs and 5'7. both of my knees really hurt all the time. I had a hysterectomy when i was 42. Since that time losing more than 10 or 15 lbs seemed impossible. I was tired ALL the time. I had zero energy. My husband and I really love to travel and it really was hard to enjoy it being overweight. There were things on my "bucket list" that unless I lost a good amount of weight just wouldnt happen. I put alot of thought and research into my choice to have the surgery. After surgery the few 2 months were not easy. I developed ulcers in my pouch. I did nothing wrong, it just happens to a small number of people. It was miserable. I was hospitalized twice pretty sick. I was lucky to have a really good doctor. He supported me and said you have to find what works for you and in your time things will happen. He told me to stop worrying about the numbers of what I was eating what I was losing what I was drinking just do today and do your very best at it, Slowly I got better. After I lost 40 lbs my knees stoppped hurting. 7 months after surgery my husband and I went on a cruise for my birthday and I was 75lbs lighter and I went scuba diving (my bucket list) it was awesome. I am one year out and I am still learning what I can eat. I can not eat very much but for the most part there isnt anything I cant have. My taste have changed Since my surgery when my husband go out to dinner, He orders and I just eat a little off his plate. There have been a few times I kinda miss food but I do not crave anything. If I want something I eat it . It may only be one bite but it works for me. I do not count protein anymore. I do what works for me but understand I am aware. There are things that I have found that work for me. This is a complete lifestyle change. I enjoy exercise. I really like nice quality clothes. I do not feel guilty spending money on them. I can honestly say even thru all the struggles and there have been several it has been completely worth it. You have to find out what is important to you, for me food is no longer a positive for me but a survival thing and Im on to other things that make me happy. I have alot of energy. I feel good about myself and I feel like my choice has added alot of years on my life. I wish you the best of luck. feel free to ask me anything I hope this was helpful.

sumaire
on 10/23/15 11:36 pm

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to figure out how to explain to my daughter this is most certainly NOT the "easy way out" as she put it today in the car.

Our family has a genetic predisposition to being overweight, and she's at least as overweight as I am, if not more (she's ridiculously tall and still morbidly obese). She seems to think that it just comes down to watching what you eat, but that's never been effective for me, so that's why I'm looking at getting this tool to help me become a much happier person.

Any advice you might send my way would be greatly appreciated.

Roux en Y on 10/27/2016

HW 300 SW 284 CW 158 (4-26-2018)

ClaudiaW
on 10/26/15 5:48 pm - Rockwall, TX

I am probably more ME than I have been on a long time. It is NOT easy and for me even watching what I ate and exercising was not working. I had zero metabolism . I have gone from a size 22 to a size 8. I would have been happy at a 14..lol Im not striving for any size just to feel healthy. I have done more with my youngest son (11yrsold) I would never have been able to do. I have enjoyed traveling. working around my house. finding new hobbies. I will say the first 6 months were hard. I chose not to tell anyone but a very few that I had surgery. I did this cuz it was my choice and I did not want other peoples opinions on what was right for me. I was not given the choice to have the sleeve because my military insurance only pays for RNY and lapband. I am happy with my choice and wish you the very best in your journey.

Kathy S.
on 10/26/15 12:45 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on your successful journey and you look AMAZING! Thanks for the update!

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active