Help! RNY in 2004 now bad dumping going on!

onemeanmom
on 11/13/15 10:54 am - Modesto, CA

So I did good for years, in the past 4  years I've been sick with a rare autoimmune disease and on high doses of prednisone (steroids) along with being very fatigued and weak and sore. So I ate (due to steroids) and couldn't exercise. At some point since 2004 found out I could eat sugar and really anything, so I did. I've gained weight needless to say. During the years of uncontrolled eating while I was sick I may have experienced dumping a few time but not much and can't really remember. But now....!!! It raging! I get it after everything and anything I eat. At first it was only after dinner. I felt bloated and miserable no matter what I had for dinner and that was the only meal. Now it has escalated to after every meal... and after snacks with no rhyme or reason. 99% of the time I feel it, bloated, miserable, heavy and then diarrhea within 30 minutes usually. 1% of the time I am lucky and nothing happens. I've lost 15 pounds which is great but I'm not trying really and I feel horrible. This is way worse then the first year after surgery. Actually, the first year after surgery was great mostly. I had some dumping but quickly learned not to do that again! Now, one egg with one piece of buttered toast can cause it. Ok, carbs, but I've been eating them for the last 4 years with only intermittent issues. Now it's daily and constant and unpredictable. Any ideas? I do have a CT scan with contrast next week to see if there is anything to be seen. But I would so appreciated any helpful hints from you all. Thanks!

JA
on 11/13/15 12:05 pm - East Haven, CT

So sorry you are going through a rough time.  Something is going on, obviously, you are on the right road by going to get checked.  Sounds like something has changed.  I, too, had my surgery in 2004, but don't dump, even when I eat something I shouldn't.  I will get a weak feeling like a "sugar" high/low, but no vomiting.  It may be the fat that bothers you, one never knows as everyone is different.

I hope you get resolution soon.  Good luck.

JA

Grim_Traveller
on 11/13/15 12:20 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I don't think this is dumping. Dumping is ONLY caused by sugar, and maybe simple carbs. Try going on a protein only diet for a few day. Ditch the crap like toast. No carbs. If you still get these symptoms, get to a good doctor. It won't be dumping.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

onemeanmom
on 11/13/15 1:45 pm - Modesto, CA

Thanks. I appreciate the input. I will do protein only tomorrow. That's a great idea and see what happens. I agree that something has changed. I just don't know what. Told my primary care doc all the symptoms and he says it's what I eat so will try the protein. My bariatric doc is 4 hours away and hard to see. So will try this and the CT scan and take it from there. Thanks again.

lynnc99
on 11/14/15 4:45 am

Yes, I was going to agree with Grim that you may have something other than dumping going on. 

If diarrhea is your only symptom, it's likely NOT dumping. Dumping includes chills, sweating, lightheadedness, queasy feeling (not vomiting), and a host of other symptoms that I collectively describe as "putting you in the fetal position on the bathroom floor." 

I also love the suggestion of taking a scientific method approach to it all. Go with protein only and see what happens. Add other foods carefully after that - cooked vegetables first, then a little soft fruit. Hold off on dairy and kick the carbs to the curb. See what happens. But yeah, once you've seen how this all works, a call or visit to the doc would be a good idea. 

sor09
on 11/13/15 4:23 pm

Hello:

Sorry you are not feeling well. Consult with your bariatric doctor or bariatric team to work out a solution for you. I am not out as far as you, but dumping can be for more than one thing and each person is different. Sugary and or oily foods has been my experience too. I try to not go there even at 2.5 yrs out. Post op we can eat what ever but then ask why, since why did we do WLS? Maybe back to basics can give you some relief until your bariatric doctor can set up something designed just for you.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/13/15 8:23 pm

IBS-D. It can be caused by bacterial infections in small intestine. SIBO. Google that. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

NHPOD9
on 11/14/15 3:51 am

Could you be experiencing Reactive Hypoglycemia? This can develop over time with RNY patients. Cut out the carbs and eat protein heavy meals. If you experience symptoms again when introducing simple carbs, it could be RH. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

rocky513
on 11/14/15 4:55 pm - WI

I agree with the others.  It does not sound like dumping to me.  Do you still have your gallbladder?  Some people do not get the painful attacks but will have bloating and loose stools after they eat.   

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 11/23/15 4:30 pm - Belleville, IL

I agree with the others....It sounds like something other than "dumping" pr hyperglycemia. Perhaps the steroids are messing you up? Autoimmune disease SUCKS, I have it, too. They may be able to try other meds. Also just because you CAN eat sugar, don't. Go back to soups, broths, and a gentle diet until you've talked to your doc. Tell the doc's whats going on and that you have RNY, maybe they will get a good gastroenterologist on board along  with your Rheumatologist. ((((hugs)))) and good luck

Warmly,

Jackie