Judgy McJudgerpants

hyder1ab
on 11/20/15 1:43 pm
RNY on 05/06/15

I am researching plastic surgeons in my area for the inevitable time when I need one, and man, am I a brat.  Some of the pictures just kill me. I realize people get plastic surgery for a myriad of reasons. But, if I looked like most of these people I would wear a freaking bikini and dance down the street. Maybe I am just jaded because even when I have completed the weight loss portion of my journey I will look like a burlap sack under my clothes.  I know everyone has to be happy with their own body, so I do get why people get plastic surgery. But, these pictures.....

sweetpotato1959
on 11/20/15 2:19 pm

Just FYI, What you look like post weight loss depends very much on your body type and how you "choose to lose"... by that I mean...there are things you can be continually doing to tone the excess skin...to a point! It will not remove the extra rolls, but some of the excess can be toned, doing things like wearing  a shapewear product  help support the gravitational pull on the skin, as you choose to wear it continually for all the months post op, your body will adjust with less stretch of the outer tissues being maintained. 

Everyone who has the weight loss surgeries does not have the plastic surgery. i could probably lose another 20 lbs, with excess skin removal, but I am not into pain and the benefits outweigh the costs for me.  If anyone WANTS to have plastic surgery...Go for it. It's just not my cuppa tea.

I believe, but have not done a survey...that most people who have weight loss surgery choose to do so because all the diets and things they have tried, did not work. They are attempting to get control back.  plastic surgery can help in that, when the excess skin interferes with your goals or your health

. My advise, get to goal, or very close to goal then begin searching if that is your choice. You will need info re: your insurance and how it can be done...some things like hernia's can give a reason for initial surgery, which could result in less skin... Don't get the cart before the horse. Relax. Don't stress now, it will interfere with your loss.

Denise
hyder1ab
on 11/20/15 4:06 pm
RNY on 05/06/15

Yeah, I am not in hurry. I am more looking into what procedures I would like to have and what the relative cost will be. It is a very important decision and I don't want to go into it when I am at a point where I am just wanting the excess skin gone. I want this to be a well thought out and planned series of procedures.

sweetpotato1959
on 11/21/15 10:14 am

Much of your costs will be determined by medical necessity.  They will be asking questions either silently or out loud... Is it reasonable to have X amount of skin removed, for a health benefit? Do you have an internal hernia?( that could justify a surgery, and cover the costs of anesthesia etc.)...ie is  skin interfering with your daily care, or mentally?.

What ever YOU do,   your decision WILL be the right decision for you. ..and anything you can attempt, to keep your eye on YOUR goal..will be worthwhile.

some have issue saying I was giving false hope.I just shared what we did that worked "to a point of tolerance" for us.. No false hope.! You know your skins tone and need to take care of it in a manner that is YOUR right way... Anything you can do NOW, to help you feel and look better, will give YOU more than a physical change. It is truly a wonderful thing to be able to buy clothing off a regular rack!After we get close to goal, the hardest thing for those with large loss, is adjusting our minds to "seeing" ourself for our true size. The variations in sizing does not help us either!

My Mom had enough skin to remove, and a HUGE hernia..She Chose to support the hernia, using a long line girdle.(before spanx).instead of having another open surgery.... I was  both fortunate and unfortunate. I lost all insurance, and could not get another policy. I was able to tone Some of my excess, the girdle was one tool. massage(we used a moisturizer collagen cream from time to time... was another to help with tissue elasicity...Neither of these  work for everyone, but we did have some measure of sucess... in that no medical procedure has HAD to be done because of skin causing another issue.so we were both fortunate in that..( I Never would expose myself wearing bathing suits or etc., but understand I am NOT the norm, and it is what gives some people the drive to weight loss..). What ever your catalyst is, use it to your benefit.AS I posted before, I do not plan on being evaluated for plastic surgery,  I do know I would have to be cut down both thighs and my waist, and a boob job would be in order..NOT FOR ME./my choice. I am Allergic to pain. I can deal with some excess skin. I know I am 20 lbs from my adjusted (Down)goal...and some would take issue with my goal...but it is MY goal, just as yours is yours. SOME people with large wt loss Will have 10-20 lbs,when their losses are complete.. and some of them are my family members.. 

Good hunting, in finding the information you seek, and in obtaining and maintaining YOUR goal.

Denise
Grim_Traveller
on 11/20/15 7:41 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

"Just FYI, What you look like post weight loss depends very much on your body type and how you "choose to lose"... by that I mean...there are things you can be continually doing to tone the excess skin...to a point! It will not remove the extra rolls, but some of the excess can be toned, doing things like wearing  a shapewear product  help support the gravitational pull on the skin, as you choose to wear it continually for all the months post op, your body will adjust with less stretch of the outer tissues being maintained."

Where do you find this drivel? There isn't a single fact in this paragraph. Utter nonsense. If shapewear could reverse gravitational pull, the people at Spanx would be sending astronauts to Mars. Hmmm. Maybe that's what Matt Damon is wearing in the movie. No, wait -- that wasn't real either.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

sweetpotato1959
on 11/20/15 7:53 pm

PERSONAL experience X 2.  Both Mom and I.. NO there is no data, but you wear a long line girdle  every day, it holds things in..and years later I have not found surgery Necessary, because my ass does not sit down before I do... with 150 lb wt loss. ( hers was 170 lb loss)  I guess you tried not wearing one, And needed surgery?   Don't you have enough to do without attacking someone else?

Denise
Grim_Traveller
on 11/21/15 3:46 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I've lost 292 pounds. I've never worn shapewear in my life. The laws of gravity apply the same to me as everyone else. I have excess skin, but not a lot. I was very lucky. I have no where near 20 pounds worth of excess skin, that's for sure. I'll be happy to compare asses.

Just please stop telling people nonsense like "Use shapewear and you won't have so much excess skin." Giving someone false hope is just cruel.

6'3" tall, male.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

sweetpotato1959
on 11/21/15 9:24 am

This is my last post on this subject..  Your attack was uncalled for!

What I said is some kind of shapewear" CAn assist... to a POINT.".. IT was not meant to give false hope, as an end all.. we did massage and other things, wearing a girdle , since we were on our feet 12-14 hrs daily, was what we both did continually. IS it the only thing that is done? NO!, but can be Part of a plan, to minimize the discomfort, til one gets to their goal and is ready to determine if/when they will need/want surgery.

You are right those who do NOT need or desire plastic surgery Are blessed. I have NEVER nor will I ever be evaluated for removal of skin.   I have some everywhere..from shoulders to calf. HOW much I have no idea, but am 20 lbs from my goal. (I am below my origional)

Grim_Traveller
on 11/21/15 10:04 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Shape wear, girdles, massages, lotions and creams, exercise. None of those things will effect excess skin, not even a little.

In the future, I promise to be a little nicer, if you try to be a little smarter.

6'3" tall, male.

Ashley in Belgium
on 11/21/15 10:55 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Please do let this be your last post on this thread.  Really.

Grim is so right on and you seem to be relaying your personal experience and calling it fact. 

Let's call it a day shall we?

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 448 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 403 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics