New here! Few weeks out from surgery

Brandilynn230
on 12/6/15 10:34 pm

Hello!

i am having the R and Y on the 31st and am so excited to start my new healthier life. I am 20 years old and I know i seem young for this surgery but I am doing this to be a healthier me so that I can live a healthier life longer. My question is 1 1/2 week after surgery my classes at my college will be starting back up. Do you believe I will be healed enough by then to make the 6 hour drive back to school and attend class? Also any tips or things anyone thinks I should know before going into surgery that the doctors don't mention. My mom and I are going on this journey together and her surgery is a week before mine. Thank you! 

HW:382  SW: 360 DS performed by Dr. Williams Knoxville Tn. 

Karen R.
on 12/7/15 5:54 am, edited 12/6/15 9:53 pm - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

Hi,

Even though I am much older than you, I too, am a student. I went back to class three weeks post op but was really, really tired. Depending on your course load it may be do-able, just be prepared for the fatigue.

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

White Dove
on 12/7/15 6:04 am - Warren, OH

You will be fine, but do stop at least once every hour or 90 minutes on that drive and walk for five or ten minutes.  It is very important to keep moving to prevent a blood clot so soon after surgery.  It will add extra time to the drive but could save your life.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Brandilynn230
on 12/7/15 6:32 am

Thank you so much! I have my dog traveling with me so he will appreciate the extra stops! 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/7/15 6:15 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am a lot older, but I teach college.  I went back to work teaching a little less than 2 weeks after surgery.  I was very very tired and needed to rest a lot after teaching -- but it was definitely do-able.  I think your youth will help you along, too.  

Just be sure to keep hydrated, getting in your protein as much as possible and plan extra time to rest both during your drive and your first few weeks back to school.  Good luck!  I wish I had done this at 20!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Brandilynn230
on 12/7/15 6:33 am

Thank you so much!

peachpie
on 12/7/15 6:22 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Personally-- I'd say no. At 1 and 1/2 weeks I drove to a local mailbox to mail something and wasn't comfortable at all- nor did I feel confident I could have reacted quickly/appropriately is there was some sort of danger of an accident. I left it alone for another week. I couldn't imagine a 6 hour drive. 

And who to say you'll get out of the hospital on schedule. Its a major surgery and should be treated as such IMO. 

I prefer  to have more wiggle room when I do things-- your schedule would have made me totally uncomfortable/anxious. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Brandilynn230
on 12/7/15 6:35 am

It is not ideal at all, but due to insurance approval and what not we where forced to make the surgery at the last possible date of the year. My professors are aware of the situation and will be gracious if I am a little late to coming back to class, I just hate missing school. However, health comes first! Thank you! 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/7/15 7:21 am
RNY on 12/31/13

That was my situation.  I had surgery on New Year's Eve!! -- and had to go back to teaching at the university on the 12th of January.

She brings up some good points.  Perhaps you can see if you can find a back up to drive you in case you really aren't up to making the drive by then?  The drive would be the only concern that I'd have.  If you are still on pain meds at that point (I was not) -- then you cannot in good conscience, drive.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

KWray615
on 12/17/15 9:06 pm
RNY on 11/16/15

It was hard for me to sit, if your professors know, then maybe you could get up and stand up in the back of the classroom occasionally. 1 week after my surgery I still had a hard time sitting up, but that was me! The more you walk the better you will feel soreness wise! 

Most Active