New here! Few weeks out from surgery

Emiepie
on 12/7/15 7:04 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Welcome! In my experience, I wasn't ready to come back to wor****il the 3rd week but your experience may be different. I agree with what others have said and make plenty of stops if you have to travel that far. Best of luck to you and your Mom. The best advice I have is listen to your medical team and of course Walk, walk, walk and sip, sip, sip.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Brandilynn230
on 12/7/15 7:25 am

Thank you everyone! I am still in Charleston, SC right now for school finishing finals this week and then I will head home to Tennessee where I will be having the surgery. I will definitely discuss this all with my doctor. I appreciate it everyone! 

HW:382  SW: 360 DS performed by Dr. Williams Knoxville Tn. 

aesposito
on 12/7/15 7:50 am

I was back to work a week after surgery, part time (at the time I had a job that was half desk, and half teaching).  I handled the desk just fine.  Teaching exhausted me.

But you are young, so I suspect you will be OK.  Just make sure you stop during the drive often to stretch your legs... blood clots are always a concern post-surgery.

By comparison, I was out for three weeks after exploding my appendix recently.  Then again, that also involved peritonitis and a week in the hospital... while my RNY was complication-free and only three days in the hospital.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

hollykim
on 12/7/15 9:10 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 7, 2015 at 6:34 AM Pacific Time, Brandilynn230 wrote:

Hello!

i am having the R and Y on the 31st and am so excited to start my new healthier life. I am 20 years old and I know i seem young for this surgery but I am doing this to be a healthier me so that I can live a healthier life longer. My question is 1 1/2 week after surgery my classes at my college will be starting back up. Do you believe I will be healed enough by then to make the 6 hour drive back to school and attend class? Also any tips or things anyone thinks I should know before going into surgery that the doctors don't mention. My mom and I are going on this journey together and her surgery is a week before mine. Thank you! 

it is hard to say if you will be able to drive yourself 6 hours or not. You may still be taking narcotic pain meds then and if so,you certainly can't drive yourself,and no driving for 24 hours after your last pain pill. 

To drive taking narcotics equals a DUI if you are stopped by the police for any reason.

you may need very little pain meds,you just won't know thill you have the RNY and see how you do. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/15 1:01 pm

I am still pre-op myself (surgery on the 29th) so I don't have any advice to offer, just well wishes! I am 25 and a student as well so I understand the time crunch of trying to get everything done over Christmas break. 

Best of luck to you and a speedy recovery!

RLynnLopez
on 12/7/15 9:23 pm

Brandi - first, congrats on your surgery approval, second, congrats on having a partner to go through this huge life changing surgery with!! I am almost 9 weeks post-op, and I was not given any restrictions as far as driving goes before leaving the hospital. I drove to the store 5 days post op, and was much more sore than when I left the hospital. A few days later, I told my doctor, and he got instantly upset that I had not followed the "rules" - no driving for 2 weeks. I explained how I wasn't told anything, and didn't see anything on the discharge papers. Well, needless to say, he says when driving, you're working your ab muscles and not even realizing it (everytime you turn your wheel ect. ect.) - I guess it makes sense. Although, even if it didn't, I do know I was in quite a bit of pain after a trip to the store, so I chose to wait the 2 full weeks, and even threw in an extra just to be safe lol....

**I'm looking forward to skinny dipping, cause I'm so tired of chunky dunking**

**You can't really appreciate the love you have for others, until you learn to love yourself**

Most Active
Recent Topics