Sleeve instead of RNY?

MelodyMay
on 2/12/16 3:40 pm
RNY on 03/01/16

So, I met with my surgeon. He told me that because I carry most of my weight around my middle "like a Man", I may not be able to have the Bypass and may need the Sleeve. 

Did anyone else get told this or am I the special man shaped woman on the forums?

Thanks. 

Melody

HW: 394 SW: 359 GW: 187

DEBGG
on 2/12/16 3:43 pm

I have a few friends who have had the sleeve and they are very happy with it. they have lost the weight and are happy about their choice. I went to my surgeon and with the co-morbities i have he said the rny would be my best bet, but honestly its a personal choice I THINK. I was initially wanting the sleeve, but the rny will help me much more. If your not comfortable with the choice your surgeon has chosen, maybe see if you can get a 2nd opinion?

White Dove
on 2/12/16 3:51 pm - Warren, OH

In some people it is impossible to do the RNY.  I would still ask him to try and only do the sleeve if he cannot do the RNY due to your anatomy.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

selhard
on 2/12/16 4:22 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

In my opinion, you could use a second opinion.

hteadtbear
on 2/12/16 4:33 pm
RNY on 09/01/15

Interesting choice of words!  I have a few friends who had the sleeve and have been very successful. 

MelodyMay
on 2/12/16 4:34 pm
RNY on 03/01/16

He told me that it's possible that the surgery will go fine but he wanted to warn me that it could turn into an open surgery or the Sleeve if they aren't able to do it. I basically have to lose as much weight as possible in the next 3 weeks to have a better chance. He told me to go on a 1200 cal diet. Wish he had told me this back in May when I went for my consultation. He said don't gain weight, not lose or you may not be able to do it. 

NYMom222
on 2/12/16 5:32 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Just saying "go on a 1200 calorie diet" isn't really helpful.... It is how you spend those calories...My liquid diet that I ended up doing for like 4 weeks because I was hoping my surgery would get moved up and it didn't. It wasn't total liquid, so totally doable. 3-4 protein drinks a day (at least 20g protein each, not more than 200 calories and 5-6g sugar and #4 only if you really need it) one meal of protein and either veggie or salad, small amount of oil on veggies or salad. 2 pieces of fruit a day- apples or pears only. Honestly I didn't always eat the fruit...

That is just one idea... or just think low carb...high protein...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

roxytrim
on 2/13/16 3:42 am, edited 2/12/16 7:54 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Initially I thought you need to go to a proper clinic because how you have described your surgeon's approach didn't sound like you were at a bariatric clinic. I have read your profile and your surgeon sounds like he should know his stuff and what will be most successful and safe for his patient. Perhaps there is a solid reason he thinks the malabsorbtion portion is not in your best interest, maybe due to poor nutrition in your earlier life, which can follow you throughout your life.  Ask him more detailed questions about his recommendation for your surgery type until you are satisfied.  

On the surgery type, either is going to be successful, it is up to you to make your tool work. If you go on the VSG site you will see very many people who have lost 100-200 plus pounds.  The other option is that the VSG is sometimes used as the first phase of the DS which is like the RnY on steriods!

You sound determined to succed and are getting your ducks in a row, so you can move on with your life.

Best wishes to you, you deserve it   

MelodyMay
on 2/13/16 10:49 am
RNY on 03/01/16

My surgeon told me to drink a protein shake for breakfast and lunch and then to have a "Lean Cuisine" size dinner. I told him that I usually just eat a chicken breast and salad for dinner and he said that would be okay as long as I weighed the chicken. He said a lot of people think they can eye what 4 oz are, but we actually end up eating more like 10 oz when we try to do that. 

I trust my Doctor, I am just disappointed that all of the research I've done on RYN may be for not and I'll need to start all over w/ info regarding the Sleeve. When we discussed my options in the beginning he said the Sleeve may work but that I would most likely come back in for the RYN a year or two later. I didn't want a 2nd surgery so we decided that the Bypass would be the best option. 

I just have to be uber focused on my diet the next 2 1/2 weeks and get as much weight off me as possible. I was already eating 1800 cal a day, so I can buckle down and get it to 1200 cal. The last two days, I have failed. Eating about 1700 cal and 1500 cal respectively, but I have reset and am determined to do this. 

He did state that if I did the Bypass he was actually going to do further down on my intestine, which will help me lose even more weight. So, yay for that, right?

Harlee J.
on 2/13/16 6:13 pm - Charlotte, NC

If it was me, I'd be looking for another Bariatric surgeon's 2nd opinion. 

Do you no****ch that TV show on TLC where people are 600lbs and have RNY surgery? If my surgeon was telling me the things yours is, I'd be choosing someone else. There are too many Bariatric surgeons out there to have one like that. 

The most powerful force I have, is what I say to myself and believe.

The most powerful force I have, is what I say to myself and believe.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views