23 Weeks Pregnant - 1 year, 3 months post op Roux-En-Y - DERAILED BUT GETTING BACK ON...

countrybella
on 3/10/16 12:19 pm, edited 3/10/16 12:39 pm - Ashton, Canada

Hi all,

It has been forever since I have posted here.

A quick run down of my timeline/experience:

Optifast Diet - 3 weeks prior to surgery (felt like an eternity, and I was COMPLETELY MISERABLE doing it)

Roux-En-Y - December 19, 2014 Was off work for 7 weeks - was a long, hard, painful, complicated recovery but well worth it when it was all said and done.

Starting Weight: 296 lbs / End weight: 164 lbs

Total Weight Loss: 132 lbs

Pregnancy - Found out I was expecting on October 25, 2015 (pregnant 9.5 months after surgery - recommended wait time for pregnancy is 1 year)

I had surpassed the clinic's goal tremendously and in a VERY short period of time. Personally, I had wanted to lose another 16 lbs. I was finally loving the way I looked and felt...... I am struggling with staying on program while pregnant - the first 3 months I had completely derailed! I was spending hundreds of dollars at Bulk Barn on candy, all I wanted to eat was sugars, cakes, candy, marshmallows, cookies, etc. Sugar makes me VERY ill.... so, I would get sick, and then do it all over again once "recovered" a few hours later. The first nearly 5 months of pregnancy, I gained 25 lbs! That bothers me and still stresses me out to this day. I am at 23 weeks today, and have gained a total of 29-30 lbs. They say the most weight gain is in the last tri-mestre. I am finally back on track for the most part, am using My Fitness Pal pretty religiously again, and am really putting in the effort (eating proteins/greens, protein supplements, healthy snacks, fruits, veggies, etc.****asionally, I still have a few days that I really screw up. Having to gain ANY weight is terrifying for anyone who has had the surgery I think.... its a tricky balance as I know I need to gain for the baby, but I don't want to use the baby as an excuse to gain weight either. I strongly believe I can get back to running and back to being overly obsessive about what I eat, how much I eat, etc., just cravings ARE real! I never thought they were. I also eat a little more than the suggested amount at times.

I have seen my dietitian 2 times over the course of a month! The first appointment she was very concerned. The appointment yesterday she was very pleased. She said that I am bound to have screw up's occasionally but that seems that I am basically back on track. She stated that it would be unusual for me to have stretched my pouch so not to worry about that, she was very pleased with the amount of protein I take in throughout the day.... she gave me little suggestions to help curb some cravings and such! She also suggested that I am allowed to treat myself occasionally - have those "bad" foods as a treat OCCASIONALLY.... don't make a habit of it.

I just want to know that I can get back to where I was at pre-pregnancy! I was so close to my goal, finally felt so good, felt happy, was my social self again! I am not as social now because I am so tired I just want to sleep all the time, but I want to get back to the old me when this is all said and done.

Wondered if anyone else has gone though pregnancy within a year of their surgery, if they were able to maintain (and even lose after baby arrived), and any tips or tricks you may have.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/11/16 3:45 am

There is forum : pregnancy after WLS. Check that..http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/postop_pregnancy/

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

countrybella
on 3/11/16 12:20 pm - Ashton, Canada

Thank you so much for your reply! I have been following that blog as well, however, it is not nearly as active as this one. Thought I would give this one a shot :-)

Have a great weekend!

Most Active
Recent Topics