Confused clothes shopping...

gibbygal
on 3/25/16 6:19 pm
RNY on 02/16/16

I find now that I am losing weight I don't want to buy new clothes.  I feel really confused on what to wear, and what I like.  I know this all comes with time, but right now trying to shop for clothes makes me sad.  I also don't want to waste money because with my surgery so new, I know I won't be in this size for long. Did anyone else go through this? I know buying a smaller size should make me happy, but right now it just makes me anxious. 

Heavens2Betsy
on 3/25/16 6:45 pm
RNY on 02/29/16

I'm kinda the same way.  I'm planning on shopping at the Goodwill store for awhile or maybe Walmart just to get by until it feels right.

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

selhard
on 3/25/16 7:02 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

We get comfortable with familiarity, change is hard, and unknown territory can make us anxious.  Some prefer thrift store clothes, some say they use new clothes as a reward, some have a hard time letting go of old clothes, and then some can't discard them fast enough.  Pre-op, I had no choice but to wear catalog-ordered clothes.  Your word "anxious" is relatable; trying on clothes in a department store didn't go well because I was frozen in the dressing room three-way mirror looking at a "war-torn" body I could hardly believe was mine.  Give yourself time to adjust, things will work out gibbygal.

supershopper
on 3/25/16 7:26 pm

I've been doing thrift stores and swap.com.  I buy the size I think I am now, and the next size or so down. then I always have clothes to wear. I was anxious to get rid of my stuff, but once I did - It has felt awesome- nothing in my closet is from my old world.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

G2GAWAY
on 3/25/16 11:45 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

I definitely had a hard time at first. In the past, I only had a few stores that I could easily shop in. As I lost weight, I didn't even know what stores to shop in because it had been so long.  My advice is to buy very few things as you will go through them more quickly the more you lose. At first it took 40 pounds or so before a size changed.  Now, it takes 10 pounds and things are baggy.  I still would like to lose 25 pounds or so, but have really had to replace my entire wardrobe, especially for work. I have survived by buying 2 pairs of black pants in each size for work and then some basic shells with any nice blazers/jackets that I could find on sale or had a coupon to use. I tried having a few things altered, but found that it was not worth the money. My advice to you is to shop at discount stores, use coupons, and buy very little at a time.  I found that Walmart was a good option for a pair of stretch jeans and shorts when I needed them for a vacation. It will get easier with time.  Now, it is so exciting to buy clothes because there are so many more choices and things fit so much better.  

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Queen JB
on 3/26/16 3:45 am
RNY on 07/20/15

I was the opposite, at first. I was buying clothes without abandon and spending loads of money just to get the "high" of wearing new things! But after spending a zillion dollars on clothes that already don't fit, I am a lot more cautious, now. I have a very dressed up office and I desperately need pants, but I am feeling too wary of what size to get.

I keep thinking that I am done losing, but then the scale jumps down and I am back in a losing phase. I have no idea what size I will be when I am done, and don't want to spend another dollar until I know. Thank God for belts.

As for not knowing what you like--make a "look book". Pinterest is great for that. Start collecting webpages of outfits you like and then you can decide what your style will be on your new body. 

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

karenp8
on 3/26/16 3:48 am - Brighton, IL

We all know exactly what you mean. I had been large my whole life and was used to being plush sized. I wore very plain clothes,knew what size I was and where to shop. My hubby would tell you I am a tightwad,I say I'm frugal. The thought of spending full price on something I wouldn't wear long made me--to use your word,anxious! I shopped Goodwill and thrift stores for all my clothes on the way down and that is still where many come from. I found that being dressed in clothes that fit well really motivated me to work even harder. All the clerks know me by name now and know my weight loss story too. I never have been able to keep my mouth shut! I even tell customers in line how I lost my weight and have had some I've talked with who have had surgery themselves. It will take time to find the things and styles you like and sizes will always be confusing because many brands are sized very differently but you will figure it out and begin to enjoy your freedom to wear things that you never would have before. Never thought I would be able to wear skinny jeans but I do now! I really don't have a particular style I like so my clothes are still as varied as my moods. I am still working on learning to accessorize but doing better there too. We will all get there it just takes time. The best thing now is when I find clothes I like,I can wear them several years. Working on my third winter now in my current winter things!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 3/26/16 5:36 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

what selhard is saying was true for me.  in the plus size dept i knew where to go and what brands and sizes fit.   There is a big problem because there is a big gap in size between a 1x and a 16/18.  There is what i call a no-clothes zones where there are no new clothes that fit me.   ix - way to big      16/18 - hips way to small.    i took mt clothes in - using an old sewing machine - it got me through. 

When i tried on clothing - it was often the first time i really saw my new body emerging.  I was in  new dept and nothing was easy.  i suggest going to shop but do not expect to find anything on your first trip -  do not put pressure on yourself to have to buy something. 

Sharon

ChristyO
on 3/26/16 6:34 am
RNY on 02/01/16

I only gained the weight over the last six years after 4.... , 12 hour back surgeries and not being able to work anymore, my closet is packed with beautiful clothes in all sizes, and I have a stack of my favorite ColdWater Creek Jeans in all sizes standing up to my thigh.  I have put them in size order. I saved my clothes, I won't have to shop for a thing and that feels great.  Almost everything is brand new.  I'm not in to shopping anymore and the costs are crazy.  Even at my highest weight I still dressed in beautiful colors etc. .. ColdWater Creek changed the style of their world famous #1 jeans,            (which was so stupid), but I find the ones I want on Ebay.  EBay's been wonderful for buying clothes cheap.!!!  But I know people use goodwill too. 

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

kalyani
on 3/22/18 2:16 am
On March 26, 2016 at 1:19 AM Pacific Time, gibbygal wrote:

I find now that I am losing weight I don't want to buy new clothes.  I feel really confused on what to wear, and what I like.  I know this all comes with time, but right now trying to shop for clothes makes me sad.  I also don't want to waste money because with my surgery so new, I know I won't be in this size for long. Did anyone else go through this? I know buying a smaller size should make me happy, but right now it just makes me anxious. 

Even I was in same situation when I was loosing weight. My friend helped when I was in confusion, she asked me to reuse all the large clothes by making alteration it will cost hardly 5% of new cost. It was a great suggestion. So, I took all the large size clothes like chudidhar, salwar, kurtis and frock for alteration. The feeling after wearing super fit clothes is just awesome. Moreover it motivates to loose weight.