First non-plus size purchase

gibbygal
on 4/13/16 5:10 am
RNY on 02/16/16

Sunday I went to Old Navy and bought my first clothes from a store that is not exclusively plus size.  I smiled all the way home.  I got a few tops just to fill in as I lose weight.  Here is my question: DO you remember your first purchase from a not plus size store? I know it sounds silly, but I am looking forward to walking into a store without the clerk looking at me and informing me they don't carry my size.  What were some of your little weight loss goals.  (not that being fit and healthy isn't awesome, but sometimes superficial goals feel pretty amazing too!)

chassibi
on 4/13/16 5:32 am

I'm smiling for you now. I can imagine that does feel amazing!

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

Kathyjs
on 4/13/16 5:33 am
gibbygal
on 4/13/16 8:17 am
RNY on 02/16/16

I have always been big. From my earliest memory I know I never fit into small sizes.  When other kids wore brand names, I had to buy a men's if I wanted to try to fit in.  I still find that there aren't as many Plus size stores as there are regular size stores.  I do feel thankful that plus sizes are becoming more accessible.  If you have ever spent a day with a teenager crying in a mall, you haven't lived.  Prom season was a nightmare with a size 14 daughter.   Lots of tears and hurt feelings, while other teenage size twos commented on how fat they are.  I wish things were easier for me to fit in as a kid. 

NYMom222
on 4/13/16 5:40 am
RNY on 07/23/14

My first purchase was probably Old Navy too. Old Navy was one of my go-to places losing weight. You can get some stuff cheap there... I am tall so sometimes the pants aren't long enough, but if I like them I then go online and order. If you can pick a day when you have the stamina, going through their clearance rack can be a bonanza. I have gotten things for $.75- 3 or 4 dollars many times. Often they ring up cheaper when you get to the front...

Other stores I liked, mostly because of the return policies and good clearance racks...  if I saw things on clearance even if it was a size I wasn't in yet...I would pick it up when I saw it. If it didn't work when I actually got to that size, I could still return it.... Macy's, Kohls, and Costco. Recently my friend gave me a Sam's Club card, and I have to say I like their clothes too. BJs Club I don't find too much.

I did set actual mini-weight loss goals along the way...for the month, or a certain number, or for my next doc's visit. When you have such a big number to lose I found it helpful.

One of my goals was to walk a 5k.... I did 2 last fall.... Not that in the scheme of things it is that far...just the idea of signing up for something that people were running and racing and wearing numbers, was intimidating.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

peachpie
on 4/13/16 6:35 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Its a great feeling! I shopped at so many thrift stores- I'm sure my first non-plus purchase came from there. My most memorable non-plus size purchase was Victoria's Secret- a great bra fit fit experience. (And I'l be going back soon as I need to move down a size).

Some of my 'vanity' goals were: to weigh less then my hubby, shop in non-plus store, to have my waist size lower then my age (I'm 38, still working towards that one-- but I'm close...), wear high heels, etc. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Jo_Jo
on 4/13/16 6:57 am
RNY on 02/09/16

Congrats. Doesn't it also feel great to not pay $50 for a tshirt? In Ontario the plus sizes cost a fortune. I used to make trips to the U.S. to shop. I also just purchased some regular sizes. It felt great! My friends and family have been giving me gift cards for every occasion; so I have lots of options. Best of luck.

gibbygal
on 4/13/16 8:13 am
RNY on 02/16/16

We live in Michigan and see Canadians all the time shopping here. I don't blame you! I love not paying that much for a tee shirt.  Don't even get me started on bras! You have to take out a loan. lol

Deanna798
on 4/13/16 8:53 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Damn Canadians, buying our stuff!

Where are you at in the mitten? I dint know of I've ever asked...

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

gibbygal
on 4/13/16 9:36 am
RNY on 02/16/16

I love the Canadians coming across. You won't hear me complaining about you boosting our economy!  We live near Saginaw Michigan.  There is an outlet mall not to far from us in Birch Run.  I think that's why we get so many tourists here.  Heck with all the politeness and money spending, you guys are a God send! lol