1 month Post-Op.. struggles & successes!

Roadrage
on 4/25/16 9:40 am
RNY on 03/23/16

Saturday was my 1 month post op anniversary (Surgery date was 03.23.16).. and so far, I have ZERO regrets! 

Successes:

• I've lost 19 pounds since my surgery date
  • I've had no pain at all since I've been home, and had very little in the hospital.
  • My energy levels - now 4 weeks out have improved dramatically.  I still need more sleep then I used to, but it's definitely getting better!
  • I went on a 5 day business trip (April 17-21) and was able to eat 3 meals (including 1 protein shake) every day and get in at least 60 grams of protein.
  • My Birthday was last week, and my family ate cake while I drank a protein shake.  Mentally.. that was tough, but I survived!
  • I've started to exercise.. I've done 2 Cross fit classes (my quads still hurt), and several 30 - 40 minute rounds on the elliptical machine.  Also trying to get at least 10,000 Fitbit steps in daily with walks
  • Our family went on a 4 day camp-out this past weekend.. I had fun with 0 alcohol, 0 junk food & just enjoyed the outdoors!
  • I've had no "bad foods".. and have stuck 100% to good protein foods.
  • I basically skipped the pureed food stage with no problems, and have not yet had any problems with any food, aside from the 1/2 greasy hamburger patty I ate at a baseball game last week.  That didn't sit too well.
  • I've never taken vitamins or medications consistently before - but so far, I haven't missed a dose of anything yet.

Struggles:

• I still forget to chew my food when I'm talking with clients or colleagues.  I've had to throw up 4 times because I've not chewed it enough and instantly regret it as soon as I swallowed on my trip last week.  A quick trip to the bathroom.. and all seems to be better, but I HATE that feeling, and am trying hard to remember to chew 25-30 times before I swallow!
  • My head still wants junk food.  I know it will make me sick, and I can't touch it - but I long for the day when I look at a candy bar or a cookie and just think "meh, that doesn't even look good".  Not sure if that is a realistic thought.
  • I am still having a hard time getting in 64oz of water.  Even if I flavor it & make it ice cold - it just seems to take forever to get in 20oz.. and then I still have 2 more bottles to go. 
  • Even though I liked the premier protein shakes, the taste of them now after 6 weeks of continuous drinking has started to wear thin.. I look at the carton and internally groan.  "Ugh.. not another shake".. but there is no way I can get to 60+ protein without them.
  • I hit the 3-4 week plateau last week, and haven't lost anything in a week.  My head knows this is normal.. but the rest of me is frustrated!  I'm finally eating enough protein to have enough energy to actually exercise, and now the weight loss slows down?!  I know it's normal, but man is it frustrating!!
  • I've lost about 35 pounds since my pre-op diet, but I don't think I look any different.  My clothes are a little baggier, but they still fit for the most part (they used to be tight).  I want everything to be instantaneous - even though I know that's not how it works! :)

And that pretty much sums up my thoughts 1 month out.  Here's to a successful month 2!  18 more pounds until I'm in Onederland!

Erin - 5'8''

HW: 260; SW: 237

CW: 164; GW: 145 

RXY Surgery Date: 03.23.16

pr31
on 4/25/16 9:58 am

Thank you so much for your insights.  My surgery date is June 3 and we have a 5 day trip planned July 20.  I'm hoping I'm doing as well as you.  I know I'll be drinking a shake for lunch at least, but so looking forward to starting to drop the lbs.  Best wishes.

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

Roadrage
on 4/25/16 11:01 am
RNY on 03/23/16

By that far out - you will be totally fine!  Just stick to what you know will work.. lean proteins.  I ate a TON of sashimi (raw tuna & salmon) - no rice as I love it, and it was available at the luncheons we had at the hotel.  I also did a lot with eggs, and some pulled pork.  I avoided most veggies & other fillers just so I could get in the 3oz of protein.  The toughest part was trying to figure out what portion sizes were.. but the palm of my hand was a good guesstimate, and my stomach kinda let me know when I was full.

Erin - 5'8''

cheapskate
on 4/25/16 10:48 am
RNY on 03/30/15

I didn't buy anything new until I hit 100 pounds lost. I didn't really notice a difference untul 75 and they weren't embarrassing until100

Roadrage
on 4/25/16 11:03 am
RNY on 03/23/16

Thanks.. 100 pounds is my total goal.. so being down 35 right now is starting to have an effect.  I'm hoping when i'm down about 20 more and ready to look for some summer clothes, I'll be down a size or two.  But, a lot of my stuff is like Nike shorts, etc. that have elastic tie waists.. so they will still fit, even if a bit baggy!

Erin - 5'8''

Heather P.
on 4/25/16 11:21 am

Great job!  

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

Kathyjs
on 4/25/16 11:35 am

I don't understand? You 'skipped' the puréed stage? 

karenp8
on 4/25/16 11:58 am - Brighton, IL

You are doing great! I'm about 4 years out and I must say the sweets still look and smell amazing to me and I don't expect that will ever change sadly. I dump though so that is enough to keep me out of them.

Nicole K.
on 4/25/16 2:29 pm - Santa Monica, CA
RNY on 02/12/16

Your "struggles" portion could have been written by me. It sounds like you're doing great!

Nicole 

RNY on 2/12/2016 with Dr. Kent Sasse

First consultation weight: 309  Goal weight: 150

Sunqueen15
on 4/25/16 10:30 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

I had my surgery on 3/21 and I have to say, you should be very proud of yourself! I envy your will power! I too, pretty much skipped a pureed stage at the advice of my doctor, I had stuck with the liquids so long that I was at the time I could have soft foods. I continue to struggle to get all my protein and water in. I have also had some mushrooms in my eggs and a bite here and there of things I shouldn't. I have not had any ill effects but the guilt was enough to tell me that I needed to stop or I would be headed on a path of doom. I'm down 22 lbs and I also hit a stall last week that made the scale not move for 7-9 days. I was heart broken and thought that this surgery was not going to work for me. But after posting on here and following the advice of others, I increased my water intake and forced myself to eat more. The scale began moving again and continues to! It is so important to hit those protein goals but man do I struggle! I get full on a low fat string cheese, its hard for me to finish!

I wish you the best of luck and I hope you continue to have success and reach onenderland soon :-)  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 438 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 328 views