My biggest fear.

Jaq
on 4/29/16 6:33 pm

I have been waffling between having RNY vs VSG.  My biggest fear for having the RNY is I eat fast and don't really chew my food well.  I am scared I won't be able to adapt.   Am I  being paranoid?  I am a diabetic so RNY makes sense but I am leaning towards the VSG because I won't have to worry as much about chewing my food to death.

Cheers,

Jaq 

Don't look back, you're not going that way.  

NYMom222
on 4/29/16 6:41 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I eat too fast. In the beginning I downloaded an app that helps you time your bites. I still eat too fast, but slower than I did. When I eat too fast I get that full feeling almost immediately... it's not really full, just I ate too fast...then I sit back for a minute or two until it passes and continue....

You should chew well with any surgery. I would not base my decision on that.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Jaq
on 4/29/16 6:54 pm

Thanks.  I guess I am still trying to figure out my fears. 

Cheers,

Jaq 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/29/16 6:44 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Please know that this is not meant to be snarky, but is coming from a place of having been where you are.  

Wolfing down food and not chewing well are contraindicated in both surgeries -- as well as are counterproductive to a healthy relationship with food in general.

I would be more worried about not changing these bad habits to make permanent lifestyle adjustments for success, than planning to keep bad habits and choosing a surgery to accommodate them.  

Surgery is a wonderful tool  -- but long term success requires us to make drastic changes in how we view, consume and think about food. 

Wish you luck in your decision.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Jaq
on 4/29/16 6:52 pm

Thanks for your advice.  I know I have to change my habits.  I am doing it now in preparation for surgery but I hear so many stories about food getting stuck and it sounds scary. 

Cheers,

Jaq 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/29/16 8:05 pm

Plenty of VSGers woll tell you they have had a 'stuck' feeling from inhaling food.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Jaq
on 4/29/16 8:36 pm

Thanks.   Did not know that. 

Cheers,

Jaq 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/30/16 6:31 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I had the VSG & while I never inhaled food, at least I didn't think I did, food can get a little stuck if not chewed well. I've mostly run into this problem whenever I had food like chicken that was too dry or a beef patty that I didn't chew enough & it would be slow going down.

Picking a surgery based on whether food can get stuck? It can get stuck on either one.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

seattledeb
on 4/30/16 12:12 am

That's one of the reason it can help you for the rest of your life. Wolfing down a lot of food can really hurt. Your brain and body work together to teach you not to do that. It's a good thing/tool to have at your disposal for the long term.

RnY is better for diabetics.

Good luck.

Eggface
on 4/30/16 5:10 am, edited 4/29/16 10:10 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

At first you think about what you are doing how many chews, not drinking, how much time between, it's a lot and an adjustment... then suddenly... a few months in it becomes so much a part of your life you can't remember any other way. 

I don't believe I have thought about chewing in years... I just chew... I know instinctively how many times or if it's something I shouldn't even attempt.

So no not paranoid... concerned about your new life rightly so but I wouldn't choose my surgery type based on chewing ;) it's not a thing after a time. 

Best wishes with whatever you decide!!

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views