Post-op complications, who should pay for it!!??

Sally146
on 5/10/16 8:25 am

im considered to be a low risk patient. Healthy, young and no health complications, BMI 33. had my MGBP 10 days ago. It was unexpected but I went through major complications following the surgery. I am a self pay and where I live we're not really used to health insurance . Health care is covered through tax but only in government owned hospitals (which are the best hospitals in general) however there are some private hospitals for some procedures that the government hospitals do not cover or offer. Like Bariatric surgery and cosmetic surgery for example.

Now following my discharge my surgeon sends me a huge hospital bill which litterally exceeds the cost of the surgery. There has been no agreement between me and him (no written or verbal agreement) regarding post-op complications. He did how ever explain them to me and made me sign on a paper stating that I do understand the complications and agree to the surgery, but he did not discuss who has to pay for it in case it happens.

What at am I supposed to do now? Should I pay the bill or simply refuse?

mschwab
on 5/10/16 9:05 am
RNY on 11/21/14

Generally, complications of a non-covered service are excluded under insurance policies, so it is unlikely that it will be covered by insurance.  Also, unless you have a contract with the surgeon that states any complications are included in the cost of the initial surgery, chance are not good that he will pay.  If you believe that the complications are due to malpractice on his part, you always have the option of filing a civil suit.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Kathyjs
on 5/12/16 11:03 am

Pay  the bill 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views