One month out. 300-400 calories!

Sally146
on 5/29/16 11:37 am, edited 5/29/16 11:42 am

ok so I'm one month out of a mini gastric bypass. I still feel it's hard to consume 600-800 calories per day. I average around 300-400 mainly from protein only. My oral intake was definitely better 2 weeks ago compared to now.  I feel lethargic and the palm of my hands look pale though I'm still taking my multivitamins every single day and on time (will have to check my hemoglobin)  My surgeon said that with MGB the oral intake should be better than those with VSG and RNY!!. My pre-op weight was 169 and now I weigh 142.. I'm not sure what I should do or if this is normal or not.  

White Dove
on 5/29/16 2:57 pm - Warren, OH

If you feel like you need more calories and can't get food in, then you can supplement with protein shakes.  How much more do you have to lose?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sally146
on 5/29/16 7:25 pm

I can't do protein shakes. They cause my dumping syndrome. I need to lose 20 lbs before reaching my goal weight

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/31/16 7:50 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Have you tried high protein very low carb shakes to avoid dumping?Few people dump on the right kind of prot shakes. 

I do not have the miniGBP, but I looked into it because it has several advantages.  The miniGBP is supposed to cause less of the problems you are having.  If you cannot get your protein in - go back to your surgeon, you're a month out and may need an alternative to prot shakes to get you through this period with sufficient protein. 

Sharon

Sally146
on 5/31/16 8:13 pm

Yes I made sure every protein shake I try is either 0sugar 0 carb or low in sugar and carb. I have tried different brands and all cause the same thing until finally my doctor told me to stop all protein shakes and try to get my protein from food. Currently I get is around 40-50 grams of protein per day. My target is 60-70. So according to my doctor I'm doing fine. Though some days I hardly reach 12 grams because I'm unable to eat anything all through out the day. My surgeon keeps telling it will get better but so far I'm not seeing an improvement. The funny thing is I don't dump from sugar.. Just from protein shakes and porridge!! 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/31/16 8:21 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

As time goes on, you may find the ingredient that is causing you to dump. 

Sharon

White Dove
on 5/29/16 8:27 pm - Warren, OH

You will probably easily reach your goal in the next few months.  Don't push yourself too much on the calories.  Your body will recover from the surgery and your appetite and intake will increase naturally. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sally146
on 5/29/16 9:19 pm

I just feel things are going too fast for me.. 

aesposito
on 5/31/16 8:33 pm

Eat what you can eat.  Don't stress about it.  Since you did this for health issues, not for weight necessarily, look at whether those health issues are improving or not.  Then go from there...

And make sure you are not taking iron with calcium, calcium tends to cancel out iron... and when you get your hemoglobin checked, get ferritin checked too.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Sally146
on 5/31/16 8:40 pm, edited 5/31/16 2:25 pm

I'm taking the Bariatric multivitamins. They contain iron and calcium together in each chewable! Could it possible by the reason my palms are pale!

I did this surgery to reverse my PCOS and cure my infertility. So far I see that my periods are becoming more regular but they're very light. So I will just wait and see how things go down the line. 

Thanks for for the advise . 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 470 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 429 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 361 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 445 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?