Are your meals time limited or just portion controlled

chassibi
on 7/2/16 7:02 am

So in the past few days, I've run into an issue. I'm moving my diet more towards solid proteins all the time, and trying to have my protein at least at 70 grams daily while keeping calories under 800/day.

Many times when eating solid protein I get full MUCH sooner than getting in the portion size that allows for the protein. And I'm not talking cups of food here, I mean like 2 bites or something. However, if I go slow and eat my meal over the course of maybe an hour, I can usually meet my protein goals and not "overeat" or feel uncomfortable.

My dilemma is: when I had the band, you were supposed to not eat anymore after like 20 or 30 minutes. Is it okay that I'm doing this with the RNY? I'm staying under my portion sizes and calories, just taking longer to consume them. If not, how do you push your protein numbers where they need to be?

TIA.

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

NYMom222
on 7/2/16 7:32 am
RNY on 07/23/14

An hour is definitely too long. I eat too fast still, and between that and acid I can get a full feeling on bite one or two. So yeah, I haven't eaten enough. I will stop for a few minutes to give myself time to digest and go back.... I wouldn't go longer than 20 minutes-ish though...maybe 30 tops as then you are getting into grazing. Stomachs and pouches start emptying naturally after 30 minutes- that is part of why the whole...don't drink for 30 minutes....to give your food time to be in your stomach and no****hrough.

I don't know how often you eat in a day, but my surgeon had told me it was alright to eat up to 5-6 times a day because you are eating such a little quantity at a time. During the first year there was no real difference between a meal and a snack... they were all about the same.

There is an app called 'eat slower' hahahaha... where you can set it to beep or vibrate to time your bites. You might want to try that. Might help.

Remember to chew well...

Eating too fast, not chewing well will make you 'seem' full faster. Also make sure it is moist even if it is dense protein, you can use a little condiment or sauce.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

mschwab
on 7/2/16 7:48 am, edited 7/2/16 12:48 am
RNY on 11/21/14

I eat by volume, not time.  I think an hour is too long. I eat 6 small meals a day, or it would take me an hour to get my protein in too.  

Eating over that long of a period may set you up for some bad habits later on as eating gets easier.  Grazing is dangerous!

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

chassibi
on 7/2/16 8:08 am

Thanks y'all. I was thinking the same, that stretching it out to an hour was grazing. I will switch it up to 6 smalls per day and see if that works.

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

peachpie
on 7/2/16 12:34 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I won't eat for more than 30 minutes for whatever I've portioned out. Otherwise it's me just grazing. 

6 meals a day was too much for me, I settled at 4, somedays I'm even fine with 3

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

FindingCharlie
on 7/3/16 2:56 am - Saint Regis Falls, NY
RNY on 05/03/16

I get confused about my meals. My doctor wants me to eat 3 meals per day. 2 oz for breakfast and 3 oz for Lucy and dinner. It is really pushing it for me to get 3 oz of protein in at a meal. Also, My dr wants me to eat 1 oz every 10 minutes to make sure I don't eat too fast. 30 minutes total for a meal. However, the bariatric center gave me sample menus that include 2 snacks. So which is it...3 meal total or 3 meals and 2 snacks. If I try to eat snacks how am I going to get all my water in which is always a struggle for me. Frustrating! 

BW: 259 SW: 241 CW: 155.4GW: 125

Nothing Tastes as Good as Healthy Feels!

Catek2652
on 7/3/16 4:46 am
RNY on 10/26/15

In the beginning of solid food (even pureed food), I had trouble eating the whole amount recommended and my team (Surgeon and Nut) told me to jus****ch the clock and pay attention to my pouch. If I felt fullness (which for me was sort of the sensation of a lump in my chest - like I had swallowed a nut), then I would pause eating. If the feeling passed within the 30 minute time frame, I could have another bite or two; but I was not to extend my "meal" past 30 minutes.

Under my plan, I was initially instructed to work towards 70 grams of protein a day. And here is how they got me started: Breakfast was 8 grams and I was to eat it within an hour of getting up at 7 a.m. (I normally get up at 5, so I usually eat breakfast at 6) Snack of a cheese stick or cottage cheese at 10. Lunch at noonish with meat or fish. Snack of one Premier Protein at 4 p.m. Dinner at 6 with meat or fish and a bit of vegetable IF I had room. At 9 pm, if still awake, a tablespoon or two of plain yogurt.

The hard part for me is now eating too fast as I'm still on only about 2 ounces of meat at a time (lunch and dinner). I can eat a whole egg now or a 6 ounce container of cottage cheese at breakfast. I am eating more veggies... but I have a large garden and love my veggies. I no longer have a mid morning snack unless I find myself feeling tired mid morning. In that case I eat a tablespoons of mixed nuts (well chewed).

In the beginning it was also hard to get in all my water, but now it's pretty easy as I just carry around my water bottle literally everywhere including shopping, meetings, gardening, swimming, painting, reading... whatever I'm doing and I make no apologies for it.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

Most Active