I'm 3.5 months out, and I think I can eat WAY too much...

Roadrage
on 7/6/16 10:15 am
RNY on 03/23/16

Ugh, this is so frustrating!  I had RXY on March 23rd, and was very lucky to have very little pain, zero complications, and was able to start eating foods right at 2 weeks post op. I have yet to find a food that I "can't eat" or that I have trouble digesting.  I've been very focused on only eating low carb / high protein foods, and because of this I started at 256 on March 9th (pre-op diet date), and am currently at 187.  The weight is definitely falling off fast - 150 is my goal weight (i'm 5'8'').

My problem is that I NEVER get the "I'm full" feeling.  I've yet to get to the point where I feel like my pouch is full.  I just simply stop eating when I've had my half cup of cottage cheese & grilled chicken breast (or whatever).  But now that I'm getting further out, this is getting more difficult.  I'm starting to have "head hunger" daily, and I don't understand why I don't feel "full".  I let myself eat 6oz of steak a few days ago, and still didn't feel "full", so I had a cup of greek yogurt and a handful of trail mix.  Still not full - but I stopped because I knew it was WAY more than I should have been able to eat in one sitting.   Daily I try to stay between 800 - 1000 Cal, under 50 grams of Carbs, and over 80 grams of protien.  I can go way above that - but I won't let myself.  I eat pickles and other low / non-calorie items when I am still hungry but at my max numbers for the day.

My surgeon told me that he made my pouch really small - but the opening at the bottom was wide, so I shouldn't have any problems with anything getting stuck.  I'm starting to wonder if food is just flowing right through the pouch and not stopping at all.

Anyone else have this problem?  Do I bring it up with my SUG / NUT, or just realize that this is the way life is, and I'm just going to have to get used to always feeling an empty stomach?  Just afraid - that's what got me into this to begin with (along with PCOS).

Erin - 5'8''

HW: 260; SW: 237

CW: 164; GW: 145 

RXY Surgery Date: 03.23.16

rocky513
on 7/6/16 10:51 am - WI

My only advice is to STOP CHASING THE FULL FEELING!!!!!  Many of us used that stuffed, after Thanksgiving, feeling as an emotional crutch.  It soothed us.  It helped us cope with stress.  It lead us right down the path to obesity.  Now is the time to train yourself to be satisfied with the amount of food you measure out.  Chasing that full sensation is how many post-ops have significant re-gain.  That is why so many of us preach the "measure your food forever" rule.  I can not trust myself to stop eating when I actually feel full.  I would over-eat at every meal and be right back where I started before I had surgery.  Also keep in mind, not feeling that "full sensation" is not the same as being hungry.  

Stick to the plan.  Working on the head stuff is the hardest part of the WLS journey.  The compulsion to eat will always be there. I wish the surgeon fixed the brain as well as the stomach.  Figuring out how to "tame the beast" is your full time job.  Hunger is not an emergency.  You can allow yourself to feel that hunger until your next scheduled meal time.  Nothing bad will happen to you.  Eat a very, small, meal every 3 or 4 hours to keep your blood sugar steady, get your protein in, drink your water, take your vitamins and you will be nutritionally sound.

Just because you can physically eat bigger portions does not mean that you SHOULD.  You can do this!!!!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

mschwab
on 7/6/16 11:19 am
RNY on 11/21/14

Yes!  Best advice ever.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

robinreinhardt
on 7/6/16 12:33 pm

I second that emotion.

R

karenp8
on 7/6/16 1:09 pm - Brighton, IL

Well put as usual,Rocky!

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/16 1:14 pm

Very well said Rocky 513.

MonaLisaSmile
on 7/6/16 11:02 am - Canada

You aren't alone. I rarely get a full feeling either.... and yes, hunger whether it be head or otherwise also seems to return as the months pass for sure!!!

People like us have to be especially careful and use measuring always.( and when its DONE .....its DONE!!!!!)  I thought I was quite abnormal that I never get uncomfortably full, or sick from anything, but it is more common than  you think, someone even told me 40% are like us....

Be very careful of the amts you consume.  It takes no time for that to become your new normal.  You then will find yourself wanting to go up and up.  I have learned that being a "normal" weight means sometimes having to feel a little hungry.  Its not something us as obese folk are used to, and it takes time to break these old habits. 

I will say what others suggest often......drink when you feel hungry.  I am guilty of not always drinking enough, and your brain can confuse hunger for thirst.  If that doesn't work, move to PLAN B-DISTRACTION.  Find something to take your mind of eating until the urge passes (it does eventually when you wait it out).  For sure bring it up to your team.  They hear these things everyday and likely have great suggestions.

Good luck...stay strong and mindful always !!! 

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

karenp8
on 7/6/16 1:17 pm - Brighton, IL

I have no idea how much I could eat. I've never eaten more than my 1c of measured food. Very rarely will I feel full but I stop anyway. That stuffed feeling we had before surgery should never ever happen again,and it wasn't healthy then either. We must see food as fuel and not something that makes us feel content or satisfied as that is the thing that led us to need surgery in the first place. If you still feel hungry drink or find a distraction like housework or exercise to tide you over. Our past is just that the past. If we want success long term we need to form new healthier habits and a new attitude toward food. I'm confidant that we can both do this!

Grim_Traveller
on 7/6/16 1:45 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You've gotten great advice above. Trying to chase that full feeling will lead to nothing but grief and misery. Just don't go there. 

Weigh your portions, and only eat what you've measured out. There really is no mystery. We ALL can eat way too much after about a year post surgery. The simple answer is, we just need to find a way to say no.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Roadrage
on 7/6/16 2:13 pm
RNY on 03/23/16

Hi all - thanks for the great advice!  I'm definitely measuring all of my meals and staying within my NUT's guidelines - I was just confused by so many people who say that they can't even finish 2 or 3 bites of food, when I've never had that problem!

Will definitely continue to measure and stick to my program - glad to hear that this isn't all that unusual at this stage!

e

Erin - 5'8''

HW: 260; SW: 237

CW: 164; GW: 145 

RXY Surgery Date: 03.23.16

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 299 views