aleve, advil, and other nsaids

Paulinev
on 7/8/16 8:18 am

I have a question that I am hoping someone can give me an answer, I have been waiting to speak to my surgeon but have not heard from him yet.  I was told after bypass surgery we are not allowed to take aspirin, aleve, advil, motrin etc. due to the size of our pouches.  I am 6 weeks out of shoulder surgery, was doing o****il 4th of july and I think I re-injured the shoulder.  My orthopedic surgeon would like to give me a prescription anti inflammatory, and I was wondering if it was safe to take it for 3-4 days? 

Ginnny
on 7/8/16 8:52 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I was told no NSAIDS ever!  I would call your Bariatric surgeon.

White Dove
on 7/8/16 8:53 am - Warren, OH

Even one dose can result in an ulcer.  There are medicines that we can take.  Cortisone, tramadol, and Tylenol with codeine are examples.  I use a lot of Biofreeze with heat packs and ice packs.

Whether to risk ulcers is your decision.  I refuse to take any NSAID.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

The Salty Hag
on 7/8/16 8:54 am
RNY on 05/20/13

We can't take NSAIDS due to an increased risk of ulcers. We can develop ulcers either in our pouches or in the remnant stomach. Treating an ulcer there, from what I've read, is difficult. It happens because we no longer have enough acid to protect the lining of our pouches. There are quite a few posts about it if you search the site for it. ( little magnifying glass at the top of the page )

I think in a few cases, some people were allowed to take anti-inflammatories for very short amount of time when there truly was no other option, but I'm not 100% on that. 

The best thing is to wait for your surgeon to give you the proper info. 

I've had two ulcers since surgery, so I couldn't risk taking any NSAIDs at all. Last year, I accidentally took cold medicine with aspirin in it. It really did a number on my pouch. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Momaroo1
on 7/10/16 8:06 am

Hi, I am 4 years post rny. I took prednisone for a sinus infection without even thinking about how it might effect me. I ended up in the hospital with a bleeding ulcer. Best to stay away from these. Types of meds. :)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/8/16 10:11 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I wouldn't risk and NSAID unless it were absolutely necessary.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

chassibi
on 7/8/16 10:46 am
My surgeon said its ok if you're having a heart attack to take an aspirin. Otherwise, no NSAIDs.

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

seattledeb
on 7/8/16 1:10 pm

Can you imagine the EMT seeing the EKG and the patient saying..no can't have that aspirin!

For the original poster..You gave up those drugs when you had a RnY. I miss them.

Mai23
on 7/8/16 11:02 am

I do not yet have an RNY, but am considering one due to excessive reflux I have with the sleeve. I asked this question about NSAIDs as well, since I do take them frequently now. 

Ask your surgeon if taking sucralfate/carofate beforehand as a stomach coater would enable to take NSAIDS for a couple days. It may be something you could consider if they allow it. 

jenorama
on 7/8/16 2:25 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I don't think carafate would help.  I was told that even if you took an NSAID in topical form (or suppository) it could still cause a thinning of the stomach lining and lead to an ulcer.  Keep in mind there are a lot of OTA pain relief creams such as Aspercreme that contain an NSAID.  I do not use these products as a result.

Hopefully you will find as you lose weight and your aches and pains lessen you'll have less dependency on NSAIDs.  I know for myself my aches and pains are greatly reduced.

Jen

Most Active
Recent Topics