Went to the local support group tonight...

cabin111
on 9/14/16 10:37 pm

Really good information.  I'll be 10 years out next month.  Most of the time (over the years) I know much of the issues.  Tonight we had both a nutritionist and a Physican's Assistant...Who has worked WLS for over 10 years.  I gained new information I'd like to share.  New things come out and we may not hear of them.  So here are a few items.  Some you may have already heard about...

One bariatric surgeon is prescribing Meloxicam (an NSAID)!!  It is for people who have very bad arthritis and can't be helped with other meds.  I looked it up and it wouldn't work for me (I have heart issues, including a heart bypass).  But for others it may be an option.

Hemp Hearts are a cool food for protein and keeping your blood sugar level up.  They also come in a powder form...It's more hemp like in rope...Not weed.

One person was talking about reshrinking the pouch.  She mentioned by going with a liquid diet for a certain amount of time (didn't here how long) the pouch can shrink.  Has anybody heard of this?  Is there any anecdotal evidence that this is true?? 

Another insight I gleaned tonight...Complex or even simple carbs (good fruit) plus protein will help keep your blood sugar level up for a long period of time (less crashing).  So mixing in some real fruit in your plain yogurt can and will go a long way for enjoyment and energy.

I knew carbonated drinks can enlarge the pouch.  I didn't know for the gastric sleeve, it can do the same thing!!

10 years ago I argued with my PCP...I told him I need a baseline bone density scan.  He said "you're a guy, you don't need one".  I told him I will be having malabsorption issues with this surgery.  I never got one done.  So I was talking to the PA tonight at the support group.  She said the doctor could run a PTH Ionized CA test...It could tell you if you (I) have issues with bone loss or not. 

One last thing...Dry roasted peanuts...Good or bad?  I've wondered about this one for years.  The nutritionist said just a handful a day.  She said too much oil and fat.  I always debated this one, since it's a legume.  She said "too much fat...I read the label, she was right.  Brian

chassibi
on 9/15/16 5:19 am

Brian,

I wonder what evidence the surgeon is using to support him prescribing Meloxicam when it is a known irritant to the stomach lining, and known to cause ulcers?  I hope he has data to support this...and isn't just using his patients as a "experimental group" for his own research to publish.

Thanks for sharing,

Chassidy

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

Daffodilgirl
on 9/15/16 5:35 am

Chassidy that's exactly what I was thinking. When I went to my 6 months post op earlier this week my surgeon researched fibro meds that wasn't NSAID's and said under no cir****tance to take my old meds. That would be a scary situation. 

Brian thanks for sharing all you learned. Very helpful!!

Surgery date March 4, 2016

S.W 309.8

C.W. 143.2

"Oh give thanks to the Lord for he is good!"

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/15/16 5:44 am, edited 9/14/16 11:08 pm

Brian thanks for sharing all you learned. Very helpful!!

I completely disagree - very misleading info...I hate when people post just a BS info... 

And just because he heard that from some "professionals" it does not mean a thing. Just because they are doctors or PA - it does not mean they know what they are talking about. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/15/16 5:40 am

You are so right... Specially for us - blind somach - can't be scoped...and someone can bleed internally and get perforated ulcer ..very dangerous... 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Insert Fitness
on 9/15/16 5:43 am

totally! This was part of my consent with my surgeon! Understanding that NSAIDs are a hard no. Forever!

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/15/16 5:36 am

Even good professionals sometimes don't know what they are talking about. 

I disagree with bunch of the statements:

1. Even though some docs prescribe NSAIDS - they are not safe...specially for people with blind stomach (original RNY) 
  2. Yogurt already has sugars (milk sugars) adding more sugars may cause BS raise and then RH. I would not advise anyone who deals with RH to add more sugar - even the natural...
  3. Testing PTH together with calcium can show if the person leach calcium from the bones. But ...pth is a hormone - and that can change from day to day. So just because at the day of the test it was "normal" it does not mean it is normal all year round.  Bone density scan - base then repeated every once in a while is the only way to know if a person is losing the bone density and at what rate...
  4. Peanuts are legumes...and have other potential issues (like toxins) but studies after studies after studies show the fat is not the problem - the carbs and calories are.  I don't limit nuts (or peanuts) and I eat higher fat diet - and I have no problem maintaining.  Fat is not the problem. The quality and type of fat may be.  Then only reason I don't eat too much peanuts is because they contain omega 6 and they are related to soy...I try to avoid soy. 
  5. Carbonated drink DONT streatch the pouch.  
  6. You can't shrink the pouch by just drinking liquids - you can make it more sensitive to "full- empty" signals... 

Insert Fitness
on 9/15/16 5:41 am

Thank you for taking the time to write this out! 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/15/16 8:55 am

Yep. For me, fruit + yogurt= the train to RH City.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

The Salty Hag
on 9/15/16 6:38 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Um...

Is this a joke? Are we being punked? Is this post supposed to be satire?

I would never trust a surgeon who thinks it's okay to prescribe NSAIDS to RNY post-ops.

"Trying to reshrink the pouch with liquids but I'm not sure for how long." Five days? Was it five days? As in-the 5 day pouch test? How can you be nearly 10 years out, somewhat active here-and you've never heard of that? Do you ever actually read other threads? There are hundreds of threads asking about it. And for the record...no, it's not possible.

Here's a brain teaser: Carbonation stretches our pouches, yet liquid apparently shrinks them. Would carbonated liquid keep our pouches from doing either? Wouldn't carbonated liquids just keep the status quo of the pouch? Mind blown, amiright? Ask the nut that one next time.

Carbonation doesn't stretch our pouches. Never has; never will. The bubbles may upset some pouches, but it won't stretch them.

The title of this thread should be "Went to a local support group tonight...and heard some serious misinformation."

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?