After-cruise weight increase!

JaxLiving
on 9/27/16 4:31 am - Spanish Fort, AL
RNY on 05/27/16

Yikes!! I just returned from a family cruise in celebration of my parents' 50th anniversary, and I gained 2.8 pounds! Although I am disappointed in myself, I must say that it would have been a whole lot worse if I had not had this surgery! I was actually not too, too bad. I just ate more than I should have, and made some bad choices! I would prefer not to hear negative comments about this. I know I screwed up, but I just need encouragement that I can get the extra weight off quickly, and return to my awesome weight-loss journey! I actually feel renewed to get back to my good habits this morning!

SW:223, CW: 134.2; GW: 125, RNY: 5/27/16

RJC5197
on 9/27/16 5:04 am - MI
RNY on 05/17/16

2.8 lbs. is not bad at all. A change in diet will increase weight, many times water, but you have a handle on it and you will re-lose it. The long term management is key, if we do not allow cheat days to de-rail us.

catwoman7
on 9/27/16 5:09 am
RNY on 06/03/15

a lot of it may be water.  I tend to retain a lot when I do a lot of eating out, even when I'm being careful with my portion size.  You can't control the amount of salt they're dumping in the food when someone else is doing the cooking.  If so, it should be gone in a couple of days.  Just drink a lot of water to help it along......

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

White Dove
on 9/27/16 5:47 am - Warren, OH

You are the one who knows whether it is from water weight or having had too much salt added to foods, or if it is from eating too many calories.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Susan M.
on 9/27/16 5:48 am - Howell, MI

I think that 2.8 pounds is reasonable, i am going on a cruise next week and have been working really hard to lose a few pounds before hand so I can have a good time and not be concerned about gaining a few pounds, I am 5 years post op and I have lost 3 pounds in the last 2 months so hoping I only gain 3 if that :) also that I get right back on track when I get home, thats the only thing you need to do now, noot beat yourself up for having a good vacation but get back to your routine and  good habits. You've got this 

Age 56 Height 4' 11" 

Deanna798
on 9/27/16 6:06 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I went on vacation for a week at the end of July and came back 10 pounds heavier.  I lost that quickly, since it was mostly water weight and backed up plumbing, but it's still always a shock when you see it.

You'll do fine, get back into your routine and the extra will drop off quickly.  I hope you had a great time.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/27/16 6:08 am

Cruises are part of life. 

I went on 3-4 post op RNY..and I always lost or maintained. 

Next cruise -get prepared. 

• We walked everywhere - Using stairs not an elevator
  • Ordering breakfast to the cabin I was in control what we got - eggs, salmon, cheese... 
  • Not drinking alcohol while on board.
  • Having sit down dinners often...- better selection of proteins. Asking them to leave the carbs off...And ordering a small dessert - taking a bite..and leaving the rest. 
  • Not going to food buffet
  • Going dancing - even for a short time at least every other day...
  • Checking the exercise deck - people watching...(some really really nice views..lol) and getting a few minutes workout...
  • Drinking lots of water...

I brought with me some snacks and used nuts from buffets as my to go snack. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Teena D.
on 9/27/16 6:54 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Great tips! I will have to remember these for my post-op cruises.  We always do the dinner, but ordering breakfast is a great idea.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

seattledeb
on 9/29/16 2:46 pm

I've lost weight on every cruise I've taken post RnY.  I could get great protein at every meal. There are a lot of cheap and filling carbs around they want you to eat. I'm always sad when I get home and they won't bring me food anymore!

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/29/16 3:09 pm

i just spit some food on my keyboard...

"I'm always sad when I get home and they won't bring me food anymore!"

i know..   so rude...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views