Hair loss

Ereiam
on 10/2/16 7:07 am
RNY on 05/16/16

At about 3 months, my hair started falling out. I'm 4.5 months now and it's coming out at an alarming rate. It feels like half my hair is gone. I've read other's posts about hair loss but it wasn't happening to me yet so I didn't pay attention.  When will it stop? I'm scared I'm going to be bald. 

My dh loves my hair, but just told me I could lose it all and still be beautiful. Love that man.

SW: 270 CW: 181.4 GW: 165

RNY 5/16/16

BE NOT AFRAID JPII

Grim_Traveller
on 10/2/16 7:31 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It should stop about month 9. So far you are right on schedule.

There is nothing you can do. Take a deep breath and wait it out.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

chassibi
on 10/2/16 12:10 pm

Me too Erie. Mine is especially thin towards the front. So much so that it's noticeable now to friends and family. I bought Nioxin but can't tell any real difference now. 

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

Ereiam
on 10/2/16 2:58 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

Frustrating, huh? Body gets skinnier, but so does the hair. 

RNY 5/16/16

BE NOT AFRAID JPII

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/16 12:16 pm, edited 10/2/16 5:17 am

I felt exactly the same way. I about lost my mind when I saw how much hair was coming out in the shower. I'm right at 9 months now, and it started to slow down significantly all last month. That seems to be the general consensus for when hair loss starts to slow down and the hair begins to grow back as long as your vitamins/protein are good. 

As a side note (and while this might not be everyone's cup of tea, it certainly was mine): Because I was so upset about it I decided to make getting hair extensions a reward for hitting a certain amount of weight lost. I've had them for almost a month and really like them, so I definitely recommend them if it's something that really upsets you the way it did me. They are a bit pricey, but something that's nice is if you say you're just wanting to get volume rather than length, a lot of places will let you do a partial set rather than a full set for a significantly reduced price since they aren't putting as much hair in (usually they charge by strand). Definitely research the different kinds though, some can do damage to your hair if it's fine (mine is super wispy fine, so I went with keratin bonding rather than tape or something like that), so you'd need to do what's right for you. Again, it might not be everyone's cuppa, but these extensions are definitely getting me through the thinned out, growing back stage. 

Ereiam
on 10/2/16 2:55 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

Ooh. I hadn't thought of extensions to thicken. Great idea, thanks. And I'm glad to hear it does slow down eventually.

RNY 5/16/16

BE NOT AFRAID JPII

Sunqueen15
on 10/2/16 5:24 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

I have whined about this since month 4 as well!!! I am currently in month 6 and my hair loss has  absolutely slowed down. I used to have huge clumps come out in the shower and the drain would need to be cleaned after each one because it would keep the water from going down. Now, it comes out just as it used to in the shower before weight loss surgery. I did cut my super duper long hair to a nice angled bob slightly above my should to help it not look so blah. The hardest part for me was not only the bit of thinning on the sides but the 2 giant bald spots I got at the crown of my head. They're so bad that I have not been able to wear my hair completely down in 3 months because nothing I do can cover them. There just isn't enough hair there to stay over it. I HATE not being able to wear my hair down and having to always wear it in the same half up style but I am noticing that this is all coming to an end. My fiance swears that he can see little hairs growing where my balding took place and I swear to god, he better not be lying me that. I'll be asking my hair dresser her honest opinion this week. I took all of this very hard. I wanted to be thin to feel good about myself and now I just had something else happen to make me insecure. I hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel for all of us. I am hopeful because again, my hair seems to be not falling out nearly as much. As the other person said she got exstentions, I spent $95 on Just Naturals hair growing shampoo, conditioner, and serum. I use it faithfully and it works so well! I have seen tons of new hairs and the entire time it made my hair much thicker looking than it actually is. I always had a little bit of wave but this stuff plus a little curly product with a scrunchy blow dry, my hair is curled and looked nice. Good luck to you and also remember that we look much cuter in hats now with thinning faces ;-) 

pammieanne
on 10/2/16 7:17 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Add me too the list! Almost exactly at 3.5 months it started. I'm at 4.5 months now. I bought the nioxin thinning hair shampoo/conditioner. I don't expect it to stop the hairloss, but it made me feel better 

I am trying not to freak out, and just ride it out. Planning on cutting mine at my next appointment to make it look thicker.I can always grow it back out if I want. 

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Unlimited
on 10/2/16 8:49 pm - WI
RNY on 03/29/16

Well I have resorted to wearing a hair piece .... and I'm loving it.  People surely can't tell as it looks so natural and real... been wearing it for five weeks now.  Purchased a Helen of Troy hair dryer curler that helps to add body to the hair piece.  Below I have copied and paste a response I made to another post ..

==

I had this same issue with thinning hair on my already thinned hair!! More so with the crown issue but overall - I knew I needed to do something.

Yes, I have been taking Biotin - but now I'm wearing a hair piece and it had worked extremely well for me. Many think I just got my hair colored darken with newer highlites! Saw my sister in law last night - and both my brother and her thought my hair grew back since mid-June. So actually, goes to show even though I know I have thin hair prior to this surgery (due to hypothyroid) ppl didn't really notice just how much thinning I had! People I work with closely know its a hair piece once I told them - my boss said if she didn't know me for this past year - she won't have never guessed its a wigs - looks soooo natural and real. Its been great with this weight loss and new wig!!

Here is the LINK -- take a look. Can even get Longer hair pieces as well etc. Last week, I had my hair dresser colored my own hair to make it look richer yet to match even closer to the hair piece... that basically was already "spot-on" for matching =) Who knows - I just might do this long term... I bought the ICED Mocha color -- maybe next spring I will buy this same hair piece but in the Sugar Maple color!!

http://www.godivassecretwigs.com/medium-top-w-roots/

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 461 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?