Why RNY and not sleeve?

JaxLiving
on 10/13/16 3:38 am - Spanish Fort, AL
RNY on 05/27/16

I went to my first consult thinking I wanted the sleeve, but my surgeon said I would have better long-term success with RNY. I took his advice, and I am very happy with my results so far!

SW:223, CW: 134.2; GW: 125, RNY: 5/27/16

Emiepie
on 10/13/16 7:20 am
RNY on 08/11/14

I was on the road to being a diabetic and the surgeon felt the RNY was a better option for resolving that. My PCP also recommended the RNY just based on my needs.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Loril1963
on 10/13/16 8:02 am
RNY on 10/28/16

I, like you, started this process four and a half years ago. I started with RNY and went to all my appointments, only thing left was to book a surgery date, and I chickened out.  I had never had surgery before and couldnt find the  nerve to do it. I have researched so many alternatives, and have a few family members and friends who have done various weight loss surgeries.  From what I see, the RNY is the one with the best permanent results.  I have a surgery date of Oct 28/16, and I intend to keep it.

jlh1962
on 10/15/16 11:05 pm - OAKWOOD, OH

Good luck!! Please let me know how everything goes!!

CJ On Orcas
on 10/13/16 2:22 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

I am 5 weeks post-op RNY tomorrow.  Type 2 diabetes for 30 years, on metformin at first but eventually insulin, a lot of it.  Also had uncontrolled high blood pressure.  Today I take one metformin, no insulin, and one blood pressure pill.  Hoping eventually to be off everything except vitamins.  It was not even a question for me or my surgeon. 

Catek2652
on 10/14/16 4:39 am
RNY on 10/26/15

I went with RNY for a several of reasons. 1. There are repercussions if you cheat (puking) and I need to know there are immediate consequences when I'm not doing the right thing. Yes, it's a head thing, but it works for me. 2. My research indicated that in the long run, the average WLS patient had longer and better results with RNY over Sleeve. 3. My insurance would not cover the sleeve but would cover RNY.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/16 9:39 am
RNY on 09/22/16

I decided on RNY for all the above reasons listed namely:

1) Consequences for not sticking to a healthy diet

2) Stops temptation to eat lunches brought in at work "when we have working lunches" (all the time)

3) Less chance of Ulcers and Gastritis and Acid Reflux (which all tie in together)

4) More research on RNY since it has been performed and studied longer

5) Overwhelming evidence of more weight loss with RNY

6) My surgeon agreed with my assessment and felt RNY would be the best choice

I am only 3 weeks out so Im afraid I can't tell you how it all works out for me yet, but I am working on it.

Ceci

ReadyforPlastics
on 10/16/16 11:58 am

Hi!

I had the sleeve - lost almost 150 but I've had 40 lbs of regain that I'm battling right now.  Yeah, that stinks... regain can happen with any surgery, though.  The blame rests squarely on my shoulders, not my choice of surgery.  

I choose the sleeve because at the time of my surgery (about 5 years ago) early reports on the sleeve were that weight loss was very similar to that of the RNY but with a less "risky" surgery and less worries about vitamin deficiencies, etc.  I imagine this is similar to the research you were reading 5 years ago too, which made you want to go with the sleeve back then.

Now that the sleeve has been around longer and there is more research behind it, I think they are now saying weight loss is actually a little less with VSG than RNY.  I also think RNY still is generally considered to be the "gold standard" even though many five years ago were predicting that VSG would become the new gold standard for bariatric surgery. 

I do not regret my surgery decision.  It was the best choice for me since I had anemia issues before weight loss surgery and thought the malabsorption would make it even harder to keep my iron levels in an functional range.   Honestly, I think most people end up being happy with the surgery that they choose.  I think you will do very well with either surgery as you are clearly committed and very thoughtful about this life changing step of WLS.  

Your PCP might be leaning towards sleeve because there is less worry about vitamin deficiencies (something the PCP would see and have to "deal with").  Some PCPs are sort of anti-RNY.  My endocrinologist (who I saw during pregnancy due to pituitary issues) expressed relief when she found out I had the sleeve instead of RNY and grumbled a lot of about how bad and dangerous the RNY was... but she is the grumbling sort anyway.  You'll find some doctors think any WLS is bad, and others that are supportive.   As far as fears of vitamin deficiencies, however, I will share with you that I recently found I was low on folic acid - so sleevers certainly aren't immune to vitamin deficiencies.  One reason I chose the sleeve was to avoid a big vitamin regimen.  But I now take iron with vitamin C, vitamin D, folic acid, and a multivitamin every day!  Haha!  Probably similar to what RNY patients take -- and honestly, if you take one pill - taking a few isn't any harder than taking one.  

Your surgeon might be seeing more success with his or her RNY patients than with sleeve patients, which could be why that is their recommendation.  They might even be able to provide some data from their practice is you ask - average weight loss (%EWL) for each surgery offered. 

Good luck with your decision! 

PS- Ooops - I wrote all of this up and realized I am in the RNY forum!  Sorry, you were probably just wanted RNY patients to give their perspective.  I wandered in here from the main page and didn't realize where I was!   Well, my advice all still stands and I think you'll do great no matter what you choose.   Sorry to barge in! ;)

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

jlh1962
on 10/18/16 8:02 pm - OAKWOOD, OH

Thank you so much for you in put, I do appreciate it! I really want to hear both sides.

I have heard of more complications with the RnY than the sleeve and have concluded more weight loss than the sleeve, but not much.      

Just deciding to have the surgery is a positive step forward. I just want the best of health!! 

mute
on 10/19/16 5:01 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I went with the RNY due to the amount of weight I needed to lose and that I felt that I needed the malabsorption and restrictions that come with the surgery. I know they are negatives to the surgery but I felt that for me they could be positives. There is also extensive data on the surgery and that always makes me feel better.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 379 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 493 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 475 views