Here is why no alcohol

HeresWhyNoAlcohol
on 2/14/17 3:10 pm

I've never been told why no alcohol following RNY, except in the context of not regaining weight, "no high calorie beverages, like milkshakes or alcohol." But that's not the real story. I had RNY in 2004, and successfully lost 100 pounds from a starting weight of 290 pounds. Happy to throw out my Lane Bryant credit card and wear my size 14 clothes proudly, I stayed that weight for 12 years. Then a good friend died last year from liver failure. She was only 3 years out from gastric bypass, but had a genetically weak liver. I had my liver checked (I drank wine almost every day, being a wine collector). I have liver disease, with limited cirrhosis, and can never drink alcohol again if I want to live. That's a much better reason than it simply has calories. I would tease my husband that, without the calories from drinking, I'd probably turn inside out from weight loss. Well, I've now lost another 50 pounds in under 4 months, becoming a size 8 (or 6 in some cases). When a person with a normal stomach drinks, it goes into the well of the stomach, mixes with gastric juices, and digestion begins. But RNY grads are different. The alcohol goes directly from the mouth into the pouch, and pours down into your liver, essentially drowning it in pure alcohol. I would imagine occasional drinking probably won't be too much of an issue (unless you already have fatty liver, which is another symptom that can result in liver disease). But unbeknownst to me, my liver put up with quite a battle, and I feel blessed to have only the amount of damage I have. The upside is my weight loss. The downside is no more alcohol...not even in cooking. BE AWARE. 13 years ago I was never told, 3 years ago my friend wasn't told, and looking at the number of folks here who asked about alcohol use, it's not information that is shared with us. Check with your doctor or gastroenterologist to confirm for yourself. It's a liver killer!

Mahalo F.
on 2/14/17 6:01 pm

I am surprised that I actually paid attention during the information seminar and the subsequent classes that followed.

We were warned about a lot of things...

Alcohol was one of them... We learned about possible liver disease and the calories of course.... What I remember most is being told that one shot would be the equivalent of 4-5 drinks.

Getting hammered and the possibility of becoming an alcoholic.

Most of all what could happened if you are hammered.

What you said was informative...

I am not a drinker... Giving up alcohol was not a problem for me.

I am definitely going to miss my oriental food and burgers though.

Take care & congratulations with your ongoing weigh loss.

Sandra  

Mahalo.  

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

HeresWhyNoAlcohol
on 2/14/17 10:50 pm

Thanks for your response. I wish the same ggood thoughts for you. Glad you were told aabout liver problems. Too many aren't told.

schenwhit14
on 2/14/17 6:22 pm

I paid attention during my seminars and still drank on occasion at times drinking to access. well 1 glass and i was tipsy unlike prior when i had to consume 4-5 before getting tipsy.  Needless to say I stopped didnt like the feeling. I did ignore some warning and thank goodness my liver is ok.

White Dove
on 2/14/17 6:51 pm - Warren, OH

Alcohol kills people even if they don't have weight loss surgery.  The beer and wine industries have done a fantastic job of making it look like drinking is normal, fun and glamorous.  There are advertisements for wine in women's magazines and advice on what to drink with your meal and dessert.

It reminds me of cigarettes in the 1950's and 1960's.  They were made to look normal, fun and glamorous, while they were killing people.

Lots of livers are being destroyed. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

selhard
on 2/14/17 8:31 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

The long-running center for weight management I went to intensely covered the alcohol warning. Your story should help those looking to stop drinking in order to be blessed with little damage like you.