Why can't people be happy for your weightloss?

sensualamber
on 3/19/17 10:28 am, edited 3/23/17 4:58 pm

A certain someone in my life keeps telling me that I need to gain weight. It irks me to no end. She is unhappy with her size so is she envious or am I just overreacting?

FYI I am the size I was right when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter almost 16 years ago. So I've been this size before.

However, my brother keeps complimenting me on how good I look and how I look like I did before having my child.

Everytime me she says it I tell her how happy I am with my size. Ugh it irks me!!!

GmaDiana
on 3/19/17 10:55 am

People are not happy with their own size or their own person.let it roll off your back.If a close friend or family.Just restate that you are happy with the size you are.

sensualamber
on 3/19/17 11:17 am

Thank you! I will let it roll off my back. It's just funny that I try to encourage her and be her cheerleader and she does the opposite for me. I will continue to state my happiness.......

Laura in Texas
on 3/19/17 11:21 am

People will stop commenting on your weight when they get used to seeing you at this weight. Use this as motivation to maintain your loss. If you regain, you give people a reason to start talking about your weight all over again.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

sensualamber
on 3/19/17 12:17 pm

Thank you Laura! Great comment. I actually have no desire to gain and want to lose 5 more lbs. I can't excercise yet because I just had back surgery 3 and a 1/2 weeks ago, but as soon as I'm released for cardio I will be back at it to lose the last 5. In the meantime I've reverted back to the way we are supposed to eat..... protein in and then veggies. I've lost 5 lbs in three weeks which put me in the normal bmi zone. I'm happy with the way I am I just wish she could be happy for me too!!!!

Laura in Texas
on 3/19/17 12:29 pm

The only person you are in charge of is YOU!! Try not to worry so much about other people thoughts and do not depend on them for validation. Life is so much easier that way!! Keep taking care of yourself.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

White Dove
on 3/19/17 12:16 pm - Warren, OH

She will be gleefully happy if you regain.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

leeann73
on 3/19/17 2:16 pm

I would throw it back at her by saying "I really don't like when you say that. Could you please stop". That will get her to tighten her lips I bet.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/19/17 4:45 pm

I would ask her directly why she feels comfortable commenting. Some people think their opinions are so interesting we all want to hear them.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/19/17 6:59 pm

I have one friend who always try to make me eat so I gain weight.

To her I look too skinny. My age and skinny - in "her world" that equals to "sick".

Plus some people think tell me "you so skinny, you need to eat a burger" is a complement. Please.... Ugh...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views