Fresh Outta the hospital

NRGLess
on 5/10/17 12:29 am
RNY on 03/04/17

Hi. I was originally scheduled for 6/5/17. However, someone canceled and I was offered an earlier date of 5/4/17. Of course I jumped on it to get it out the way but didn't realize I would have to start the liquid diet the very next morning. I was only given 6 days advance notice! At first it was okay but as the date neared I struggled. I didn't eat (Thank Hod) and got discharged 4 days ago. Stayed n hospital 2 days. But now although I want to eat or drink as required (blenderized foods) my body won't let me. My mouth is very sore (guessing from the tubes). The smell of my favorite foods now make me nauseous. I pray this just a phase. Everyone is different. I'm sure with a good support team you will do just fine. The pain meds help but soon you will get tired of sleeping all day. Just wanna feel normal again (minus the extra pounds)

White Dove
on 5/10/17 8:06 am - Warren, OH

Don't worry about eating. You do need to stress staying hydrated. Your body will have enough fat stores to keep you from starving. Just keep sipping your water.

I did water and protein shakes for the first four months. Then progressed to vegetable soup and finally to meat and salad by the end of the fourth month.

Every day will get better and six months from now all of your favorite foods will be appealing again.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kathy1212
on 5/10/17 8:28 am

Congratulations on a successful, and early, surgery!

The first few weeks are hard. I drank protein shakes and water almost exclusively for the first 2 weeks. I sometimes had very small cups of clear soup broth (espresso cup size) just for a change of taste. I started purees and had to take it slow at 2 weeks out. At one month out I tried to start soft foods but started getting bad pain after eating so the surgeon had me go back to liquids for two more weeks. Then I had to do purees all over again, lol, then soft foods. I'm on "foods for life" now and can eat steak, chicken, shrimp, berries, zucchini; so far, almost anything I try is OK (except for mango). Not everyone can progress quickly, so don't worry about it.

Every day will get a bit better. Sleeping a lot is great for this stage as you need to rest to heal. Make sure to get your liquids and protein in.

Oh, one last thing; I couldn't manage any of the protein powders mixed with milk, but premiere protein (premixed) went down great. We're all different, so hopefully you'll find one that works for you.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Emiepie
on 5/10/17 4:48 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

Rest, sip, walk.... repeat. Hope you feel better each day.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Michelle77090
on 5/11/17 6:22 am
RNY on 04/04/17

Oh my goodness you sound just like me about a month ago. It is definitely a learning process, listen to your body take your pain meds and nausea medication. I promise you it does get better, just take it one day at time, and let yourself heal. Take care!

I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH JESUS CHRIST, WHO STRENGTHENS ME!

HW:278

cw:185.6

GW:140

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 440 views