Has anybody experienced a stricture? I am wondering if I have one.

Simplyb
on 5/10/17 4:25 pm
RNY on 04/12/17

Has anybody experienced a stricture? I am wondering if I have one after attending nutrition education class today.

I am 4 weeks post-op, and previously tolerated foods are no longer staying down and others I have tried are making my intolerance list longer than my posts!

I get a burning in my chest like I am having a heart attack despite small bites of food, chewing the mush 20 times, using baby spoons, putting spoon down inbetween and sitting up straight, not eating while distracted - in other words following correct eating style.

I get an overproduction(at least 1/2 cup to 1 cup) of thick egg-white like saliva which I throw up. Only then, finally up comes the little pieces of mushed up food.

About 1/2 hour later the pain recedes and after about an hour later I can start drinking again (If I start before that, I throw that up too).

I am getting down and dehydrated after these episodes and worried that I have a stricture.

I know I can live on jello, shakes and water and some of you have done this for months but if previously tolerated foods are not being tolerated I am afraid that shakes may be next.

My surgeon is away, I have left a message, I am assuming there will be coverage in his absence. It is not an emergency situation so I do not want to turn up at the hospital. Any suggestions?

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

Grim_Traveller
on 5/10/17 5:28 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

If it were me, I would stick to shakes until I heard back from my surgeon. It could be anything, or nothing.

Four weeks is really early, and different foods can be really hard.

One person can tolerate something like a scrambled egg (for instance) at 4 weeks. Someone else can feel like dying having an egg at 4 months.

Talk to your doc, but I wouldn't get too worried. This takes a while to get back to semi normal.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

catwoman7
on 5/10/17 8:29 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I had two strictures - one at four weeks out and another at eight weeks out (they almost always occur during the first three months post-op - they're pretty rare after that)

I started feeling something similar to acid reflux after I ate anything. then, I started throwing things up once in awhile - maybe once or twice a day. Then it got to the point that I couldn't keep any food down at all. I called my clinic, and they had me to go the hospital for an upper endoscopy. Sure enough...stricture.

the second time I knew what was going on. I remember I couldn't get in right away, and the nurse said as long as I could keep fluids down, I'd be OK for a couple of days - but that if it ever got to the point where I couldn't keep fluids down, either, then I needed to come to the ER right away (it never got to that point, though)

so that's a long way of saying, you might be. I'm glad you called your surgeon. I hope someone gets back to you soon. But do go to the hospital if it gets so bad you can't even keep fluids down..

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Lucile777
on 5/24/17 7:05 pm

Hi Simplyb, what is the update? Did you have a stricture? How many pounds are you down so far? How are you feeling? Hope you're better!

Simplyb
on 6/7/17 11:22 am
RNY on 04/12/17

Sorry, for the delay dropped off here for a while, was disillusioned by some of the negativity.

Send me a pm if you want my personal email to keep in touch.

I am down approx 54 lbs, was treated for an ulcer then had increased inflammation and could not swallow water after straining too hard to lift a patient at work.

Unfortunately, I have quickly found out illness means a stall or gain and the scale tests me by moving back and forth by 4 lbs.

I walk a lot between work and outside and treadmill, and feel great, my clothes swim but I am not buying any until I am down at least another 25lb, it is my personal goal.

I am back at work, struggling with protein and only really consuming protein shakes and baby foods. I am so looking forward to salads or an apple!

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 465 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 440 views
Recent Topics