How soon did you start exersizing?

yvonneowens
on 5/20/17 8:59 am

When you left the hospital when did you start exersizing? Before or after surgery. If your doing really good with it did you join a gym? What do you do? Esp what can I do sitting down esp in a gym im debating on joining one or trying to do it at home.

peachpie
on 5/20/17 10:13 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I started within 4 months of surgery. I dedicated the initial time to healing and understanding how I need to eat.

I go to the the gym 2x/week. I do cardio for 20 minutes and weights for 40. I run on weekends, currently 4.5miles/day. I have a summer goal of taking a fitness class every Friday.

With your lack of mobility I would not join a gym now- unless they have a pool you can use. Otherwise I'd buy free weights and resistance bands and look up what you can do on you tube.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Librarian67
on 5/20/17 10:15 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Great question! I started walking while I was in the hospital and the short answer is that I've not stopped. I've challenged myself to walk a little bit further every day and I can say that I've walked all but 2 days since surgery. I know that there are people who don't exercise, but for me, it is one of the most important things in my day now. I do belong to a gym, but because they have a pool. When I was 6 weeks post-op I was cleared to return to the pool, and I try to go for either deep water aerobics or swimming most days of the week. I just try to keep moving and it has helped me to feel stronger and to lose pounds and especially inches.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

ScottAndrews
on 5/20/17 10:41 am
RNY on 03/20/17

Technically as long as you're not "pushing up daisies" you're burning calories.

BMR= Basal Metabolic Rate and that's how many calories you burn just being alive. There's formulas online where you input age, sex, weight and height and it'll give you a number. It's generally in the neighborhood of 2,000 calories

even chewing gum burns calories There's plenty of exercises where you don't need to use your legs. There's also low impact machines at every gym. Bottom line is if you're moving, you're burning some calories

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views