newbie what to expect

Porker65
on 6/14/17 3:38 am
RNY on 06/22/17

hi everyone i am 7 days out from surgery not sure what to expect when i wake up from operation . ie feeling pain etc can anyone help me ? i am very excited but a little nervous thank you xx

ScottAndrews
on 6/14/17 8:51 am
RNY on 03/20/17

From my gallbladder surgery I recall waking up very angry at Trump as if it was his fault I was in this predicament.

From my RNY apparently I woke up quite lucid although I don't remember much from the first hour.

Really you're still sort of in the grips of the anasthesia and usually pain is not a factor until hours later. Then they're giving you pretty strong pain meds (I received IV dilaudid for the first 24 and oral Percocet after that) so honestly I don't think pain is ever a big issue. I wouldn't say you're terribly comfortable but it's not that bad

The worst part for me was I couldn't urinate and had to have a catheter put in. That's not a pleasant experience for a man.

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/17 9:54 am
RNY on 04/18/17

Oh dear, Scott, that is hysterical!

Newbie, Your nursing staff should be on top of helping you manage any pain. They will ask you consistently if you have pain and keep your pain meds on board so that you don't move beyond "discomfort."
They want you up and walking, so they try to make sure you can do that with no serious pain.

The trick may be when you go home and you have to manage your pain meds on your own. Personally, I didn't take anything more than Tylenol once I got home as I wanted the meds out of my system as quickly as possible (and they will constipate you). I felt discomfort, but not real pain. There are, however, odd pains internally that might trouble you. Many people report sharp pains in the lower abdomen or under the right shoulder blade. These are usually considered "normal" as the major work is done on your inside, and those tiny incisions on the outside are the least of it.

That's my experience. Everyone's is different.

pammieanne
on 6/14/17 11:07 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

It's always 45's fault. Period.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

pammieanne
on 6/14/17 11:14 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Hi there :)

So, first off, pain and your level of pain tolerance will vary from everyone else.

One of the most common things though that causes pain in the beginning is the Gas they use to pump your belly big so they can get in there. The best way to get that part over and done with is to WALK... the more you walk in the hospital, the more you can get that gas moving out of your body! So remember, no matter how it feels, or how tired you are, walk, walk, and walk some more! Walking also helps to reduce the risk of blood clots.

Walking is VERY IMPORTANT!

I have had several surgeries over the years, and all of them were laparoscopic. The first one was the worst. I don't know if that's because it was the first one and I didn't know what to expect, or the fact that I don't remember getting up and walking much at all, but the gas pains were crazy.

Walking is VERY IMPORTANT!

I couldn't sleep in my bed for almost 2 weeks after RNY. I had a 'pulling sensation' near the biggest incision, and if I laid down flat it really hurt. So if you have a recliner, plan on using it to sleep in. You will feel weird pains, pulls, sensations around your incisions and inside your body. I think most of that is normal, but of course if it's truly painful, and not just uncomfortable, call your doctor.

Sip your water... SIP, SIP, SIP... no matter if you like it or not. You might have to drink your liquids ice cold, or you might need them lukewarm, or even hot... if you are having problems, try different temperatures. Everyone's pouch is different.

But... if you don't get enough liquids in (whether you think you want them or not) you can very easily get dehydrated... and if that happens, you will feel even worse.

SO SIP SIP SIP... WALK WALK WALK...

Hang on, because every bit of this is so worth it! Good luck, and look forward to seeing you on the Loser's Bench!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Porker65
on 6/14/17 11:28 pm
RNY on 06/22/17

Thank you for your advise appreciated xx

catwoman7
on 6/14/17 11:39 am
RNY on 06/03/15

people's experience with pain varies widely, but from what I can tell from hanging out on these boards for awhile, most people have little to no pain. I didn't. I felt pretty nauseated the first day, though - but the ondansetron (i.e., Zofran) they put in my IV line helped a lot.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163