Not sure what's happening to me

patchampeau
on 8/3/17 7:26 pm

I had surgery in 2011 and about 3 yrs ago went through 33 treatments of radiation for breast cancer that had spread to my sternum. I then got monthly shots of a medication called Faslodex and am still getting the drug.

It started with my glucose going down as low as 41 after eating the biggest meal of the day (supper). However for the past year about 20 minutes after eating I go into what can only be described as a "food coma". I am so tired I can barely move. An hour or two later I am down as low as 41 again.

I know the drop in glucose is probably dumping syndrome but what is that extreme fatigue 20 mins after eating about? The extreme exhaustion now stays with me for the rest of the evening.

I was recently put on 500mg of metformin twice a day and it doesn't seem to be helping. Anyone have any ideas and advice?

Grim_Traveller
on 8/3/17 7:55 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

We'd need to know what, exactly you are eating, but it sounds exactly like reactive hypoglycemia. It is, exactly, a carb coma.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

patchampeau
on 8/3/17 8:03 pm

Yes, I have to admit, in order to avoid dropping to a blood glucose of 41 (which used to happen frequently) I have been having too many carbs/sugars during the day but it seems I am always either too high or too low but now I get both. The carb coma is scary as heck though.

White Dove
on 8/4/17 4:26 am - Warren, OH

It is a scary circle you are living in. The only way to get your body back to normal would be to eat protein and stop eating carbs.

When you eat the carbs your body produces insulin to cover them and your sugar gets too low. Then you have to eat more carbs to bring it bAck up and that starts the insulin going again to the next crash.

Clean all carbs out of the house and eat only meat and eggs for a week. See the difference for yourself.

You will have cravings but not low sugars.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/4/17 7:15 am
RNY on 12/31/13

^^^^exactly what she said^^^^^

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 180 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 251 views