One month until surgery!

Hopeful2017
on 10/10/17 10:34 am
RNY on 11/03/17

I am about a month from having my LapBand (from 2007) converted to RNY and I am feeling all kinds of emotions -- excited, nervous and scared. I feel like a lot of people are trying to talk me out of surgery. My husband's primary doctor told him that she thinks I am making a mistake by choosing RNY and that I will have lifelong absorption problems and will probably lose my teeth! (Hearing that scared me!) She said I should get the Gastric Sleeve instead. But this is coming from a woman who has never even met me! I had considered the Sleeve originally, but my surgeon told me that patients who were unsuccessful with LapBand often failed with VSG and she highly recommended I choose RNY -- especially because I have 140 lbs to lose. So I trusted my surgeon, decided to go with RNY, completed all of my insurance requirements, and now I am approved for RNY and will have surgery next month.

I have another friend who is telling me to cancel my surgery and commit to a ketogenic diet. She has lost 80 lbs on Keto and swears by it now. She says I'm making a mistake and that RNY is very dangerous.

I am nervous about complications after surgery, but feel like RNY is the best choice for me. I wish that people would stop putting doubts in my head and telling me RNY is a mistake. I want WLS because I am at my heaviest weight ever. I am out of shape. I am not as confident as I used to be, even 50 lbs ago. I have tried every diet you can imagine and would always regain any weight I lost. And my biggest motivator for surgery is that I have PCOS and have struggled with infertility for 3 years. I'm praying that RNY will help me lose weight so I can overcome PCOS and have children. That's the #1 motivating factor for me.

I am 34 years old and I want to have a long and healthy life. I feel like RNY will help get me to a healthy weight so I can enjoy life more and hopefully have children.

Is it normal for people to try and dissuade you from having RNY? Are the nerves I am feeling normal?

obxhatteraslight
on 10/10/17 2:41 pm - baldwinsville, NY

I went from the band to the sleeve and did not really find the sleeve to be a successful for me. I guess I did not follow the program correctly but mine stretched out. The RNY has been the best decision I ever made. OF course its been hard with the foods that I/we will or have given up but the gift of health outweighs these issues IMHO. Good luck it will be here before you know it

Hopeful2017
on 10/21/17 6:27 am
RNY on 11/03/17

I am glad to hear you say that it was the best decision you ever made! I hope I will feel the same way after RNY!

White Dove
on 10/10/17 3:24 pm - Warren, OH

You will have to take vitamins for life and to me that is a small price to pay for losing the weight.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

nance1950
on 10/10/17 6:37 pm
RNY on 04/26/17

I agree with white dove. I had rny in April. I think it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. I feel great and only wish I'd done it sooner... I'm 67. Best of luck. Nancy

Hopeful2017
on 10/21/17 6:29 am
RNY on 11/03/17

I agree! And I am no stranger to vitamins. Since struggling with infertility, I have taken every vitamin and supplement you can imagine. At one point I was taking 22 pills per day.

ScottAndrews
on 10/10/17 6:24 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

being nervous about surgery is absolutely normal. And there's also the lifestyle change which many are nervous about too. But the change is for the better so once I embraced that I couldn't wait for the surgery.

Tell your friend you're gonna be on a ketogenic-like diet. I means that's pretty much what we're doing post surgery. Lotsa protein and lite on the carbs.

Losing 140 lbs is very difficult. Damn near impossible to lose and keep off. Google "Biggest Loser Study" if you're not familiar. In my opinion weight loss surgery offers by far your best opportunity at success.

Kathy1212
on 10/11/17 9:01 am

I was nervous before surgery too, and I only told a few close friends I knew would be supportive about it because I didn't want to deal with hearing everyone else's opinion. It's your decision and yours alone.

I had RNY 8 months ago and it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. I'm down 119 Lbs and my pant size went from a too tight size 24 to a 12 so far. I'm still losing. My health has improved dramatically, and there's almost nothing I can't do. Hike for 4 hours...no problem. Go on an overnight bike trip? No problem. Before surgery I couldn't walk 10 minutes without triggering my asthma and feeling excruciating pain.

I'm not eating keto because I can't manage the high fat content, but am eating very low carb, high protein. I'm enjoying my post op meals very much; the leave me satisfied and energised.

Right up until the moment I had surgery, I was anxious and told myself I could back out at any time. I'm so glad that I didn't. This is hands down the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Hopeful2017
on 10/21/17 6:30 am
RNY on 11/03/17

119 lbs in 8 months is incredible! Congrats on your success!

MsTwinkles
on 10/11/17 10:18 am
RNY on 01/16/17

Though usually well meaning, naysayers can really bring you down.

Own your own truth, my friend. Don't let anyone steal your peace of mind or shake your faith regarding a decision your have made to improve your life and health!

Hugs to you!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?