Joined for positive reinforcement

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/17 8:17 am
RNY on 10/16/17

I joined this forum for positive reinforcement and support. It's apparent that a lot of people here think they are doctors or know more than doctors and are very negative. I don't need to be bashed and told I don't know what I'm doing. I follow my doctors instructions and nobody else's. And contrary to what some of you think, I will continue to be successful and hit my goals in a timely manner.

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to delete my account. I will look for positive support elsewhere.

Travelher
on 11/23/17 9:25 am
Revision on 10/04/16

I think you will find that people will have their opinions on diets wherever you go. There are a lot of bariatric programs that follow a low carb protocol as a recommended lifestyle, and there are others who don't, and espouse a more balanced approach (though usually restrict simple carbs). Both are successful in terms of weight loss results for their patients.

I for one would never do low carb ever. It just isn't right for me, I don't enjoy it, feel terrible on it and would not be able to maintain it. It also is not necessary for weight loss for most people. I eat a balanced diet with no simple carbs, but plenty of healthy carbs. I get 120 grams of protein, 35 grams of fiber and over 100 carb grams a day, as you can see my carbs come from fiber rich foods and I don't eat processed foods. there is no one who could argue I don't have healthy eating habits.

You will find people here provide advice based on personal experience and also their own program's advice. In any social media forum you need to take from advice what you want. there will be nuggets sometimes even in the most unpalatable advice. I wouldn't interpret a different perspective as bashing. It is just someone speaking from their point of view. You don't need to agree. There are people on here who would eat a piece of fruit and it will send them headlong into a bag of Oreo because it is a trigger for them. They should probably avoid it, they are speaking from experience and sharing it with you. No need to take it personally. You will find all kinds of different perspectives on here if you stick with it. Maybe you'll be able to add your own "from experience" advice down the road.

Congrats on your success. I hope you stick around.

Band-RNY revision age 50 5'4" HW 260 SW: 244 (bf healthy range 23-35%) bf 23.7% (at 137lbs) cw range 135-138.lbl with butt lift and mastoplexy March 23, 2018...2.5lbs removed.

Pre-op-16lbs (size 18/20...244) M1-16lbs (size 18...228) M2-15.6lbs (size 16/18...212.4) M3-10lbs (size 16..202.4) M4-11.4lbs (size 14...191) M5-10.8lbs (size 12...180.2) M6-8.4 (size 8/10...171.8) M7-6.4 (size 8...165.4 lbs) M8-11.6 (size 6...153.8) M9-5.6 (size 4/6...148.2) M10-5.8 (size 4....142.4) M11-4 (size 2/4...138.4) Surgiversary -1 (size 2/4...137.4) M13-2.6 (size 2/4...134.8) M14 (size 2/4...134.8) M15 (size 2...135) M16 (size 2...131.4) M17 (size 2...135) M18 (size 2...135) M19 (size 2...138) M20 (size 2...135) M21 (size 2...138)

Lina_Ann
on 11/23/17 3:50 pm

I find most people on here quite friendly. Most of us are not trying to be doctors...we are just sharing our experiences. A good 90% of us always say to see a doctor when it is something serious.

The purpose of forums is to share experiences, support people, and give advice. Maybe a support group would be better for you. After this post a moderator will probably email you asking if you'd like to delete if you can't figure it out on your own.

Good luck.

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

ScottAndrews
on 11/23/17 5:11 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

I would not discount the advice of folks years out of RNY so quickly.

Everybody is different and hospital/surgeon instructed food plans are notoriously "one size fits all"

That said, good luck.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/23/17 7:02 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm curious, how does one person equal "a lot of people here?"

FYI, you can block any poster you don't want to interact with. Hover over their avatar and select "block" from the window that pops up.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Cathy H.
on 11/24/17 7:26 am
VSG on 10/31/16

That's what I thought, Julie, when I read through OP's posts. Smh...

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Laura in Texas
on 11/24/17 5:55 am

I see you have deactivated, but I will still give my $0.02 in hopes of helping someone.

The biggest lesson I have learned in my 10 years in the bariatric community is that doctors are not Gods!! Some of them are complete idiots. The only person *****ally cares what happens to us is ourselves. We must do our research and become our own best advocates.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

White Dove
on 11/24/17 6:58 am - Warren, OH

If the original poster never sees this, then hopefully someone else will see and understand what we do on this site.

We see so many failures and try so hard to prevent others from failing. Weight loss is easy right after surgery. The weight falls off pretty much no matter what we do. That is the first part.

Then the is the second part which we refer to as the honeymoon. The weight comes off and stays off effortlessly. We feel like we are finally cured of obesity and never have to worry about weight again.

The final phase is the rebound stage. Our body is completely healed from the surgery and figures out how to gain weight again and how to hold on to that weight. Only the good habits that we cultivated during the first two phases will maintain us through the final phase which lasts for the rest of our lives.

I had 18 months of easy loss. One year of effortless maintaining and now in the eighth year of struggling to maintain.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

seattledeb
on 11/25/17 12:55 am

That is such valuable information. That third phase is a slap in the face! Do I really have to give up toast??? YES you do!

Amy R.
on 11/24/17 5:36 pm

I hope you got what you wanted - attention maybe? - out of this post. Because you certainly could have figured out how to quietly deactivate on your own. Or even just sent a PM to Member Services.

Before you slam those here who tried to update your surgeon's out of date and many times unsuccessful eating plan it would have been wise to poke around a bit. Maybe you should also take a look at your mistaken interpretation of the term "positive enforcement". You may want to figure that one out before your misinterpretation causes you problems.

ICYMI there are innumerable posts here encouraging fellow members. Congratulating, motivating, commiserating, challenging, suggesting and yes, encouraging, those who've had WLS. Either early out or those with a decade or more.

You aren't looking for that though are you? I am actually comforted in the fact that you can't find your place on OH. Because what you are looking for is hand-patting. And it has no place here when the issues we discuss can literally be life and death. Total regain is also always a possibility.

Something happens when people hang around for a while. We get to see what works - in real life and in real time - and what doesn't. After a bit some stay around to stay and pay things forward. So that you and other newbies get a chance to learn a valuable lesson without the personal cost of regains. An easier way is offered; knowledge many of us had to learn through the pain of regain and (if we are fortunate) through re-loss. Keeping an open mind may have spared you quite a bit of physical and emotional angst. But hey. Enjoy.

To my friends here. I am addressing the poster directly because he will be back in another incarnation if he's not already. People who publicly flounce NEED the attention and can never leave any situation without looking back.

I am so glad to be a part of this space. With all of my friends and not-friends, but with all of us walking the common path of life post WLS.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 489 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 345 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 429 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 395 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 100 views
Recent Topics