Ideopathic Postprandial Syndrome

ScottAndrews
on 12/5/17 11:27 am
RNY on 03/20/17

Ok so theres dumping and there's reactive hypoglycemia and apparently there's a third issue that I personally had never heard of and it sort of mimics RH called ideopathic postprandial syndrome. In case you don't know (and I certainly didn't!) "ideopathic" is medicalspeak for "we don't really know why this is happening to you" and "postprandial" means " after you eat a meal" So this IPS is basically like RH except that your blood sugar is in range. I found this on a health website

People with hormonal imbalances may be more likely to experience IPS. Additionally, people who've had stomach surgery may also have an increased risk. This is because stomach surgery can affect your stomach enzymes. This can disrupt the production of insulin and the absorption of nutrients. People who've suddenly lost a lot of weight may also be at risk for IPS.

Anybody know anything about this?

Jester
on 12/5/17 12:48 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

Fascinating. I've never heard of this, and like many of us on here I'm sure, I've read hundred/thousands of posts, article, blogs, etc over the years and never even come across this.

While I have nothing to add here, I will be following (and researching) - but I'm curious - how did you come across this condition in the first place?

ScottAndrews
on 12/5/17 1:39 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

Honestly I was just researching RH. It's on the wikipedia page! But I did post this about a month ago. There is apparently no posts in here about it. At least none come up through the search bar.

It's from mayoclinic.org

It's possible to have symptoms that are similar to reactive hypoglycemia without actually having low blood sugar. True reactive hypoglycemia symptoms that are caused by low blood sugar occurring after eating are uncommon. For the majority of people with postprandial symptoms, the actual cause of the symptoms is not clear but may relate to what food was eaten or variations in the timing of the food moving through the stomach and intestinal tract.

There are people in here that describe RH symptoms and are told it can't be RH because of the timing.

There is a belief that it's caused by epinephrine AKA adrenergic postprandial syndrome.

Jester
on 12/6/17 7:17 am
RNY on 03/21/16

To be fair, I don't actually know that mine if officially RH as I've never tested my blood sugar at the time to see. I assume it's RH, and my doctor assumes it's RH, but there is really no need to test because it rarely happens and is totally preventable for me.

Actually, my surgeon predicted it would happen to me before it ever did based on my blood sugar test results as part of my normal visits. He described the symptoms and asked me if it ever happen to me when I ate sugar. I replied "I never eat sugar", and he replied "Ah, well that's probably why it never happens!"

Then he went on to say that if it did happen, I would DEFINITELY know. I wouldn't be standing around thinking "Hmmm....I wonder if this is what's happening. You will know for sure."

I'm glad he prepped me, or the first time it happened I would have been even more panicked than I already was. At least I know I wasn't actually dying, even if it felt like it.

ScottAndrews
on 12/6/17 9:35 am
RNY on 03/20/17

I'm in the same boat. No blood sugar readings so I don't know if it's RH or not. Should probably order myself a kit huh?

The problem for me is there doesn't seem to be much consistency regarding the what/when/how I get that horrendous physical reaction. I can eat something one day and be fine and then the next time I might have symptoms.

The only saving grace as far as I can tell is that if it's not an actual blood sugar issue then it's not nearly as dangerous/damaging as true hypoglycemia. Then again, *****ally knows?

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/5/17 4:01 pm

I deal with that, and Hypoglycemia and RH.

Part of my issues is SAI (secondary adrenal Insufficiency) caused by Hypo-pituitary. That causes overall hormonal imbalances.

I often get really tired and need a nap- short break after a normal RNY meal. I often overheat after a meal due to that. Then get cold.

My symptoms can be mild to severe depends on a time of the day, my stress level, food itself, or what I drink, etc.

Some food may cause that all the time - I call that "food intolerance". I often avoid that food if I can.

I always lose weight on vacation or traveling because I hate getting sick - feeling like crap, so I am very careful what and how much I eat.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ScottAndrews
on 12/6/17 7:43 am
RNY on 03/20/17

Interesting. Things are a lot more complicated than I originally thought. I also read there's an anxiety related component. That could fit in with the adrenal gland as well I guess.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/6/17 1:51 pm

Since I was diagnosed with SAI, at least partially my symptoms can be explained by that. He rest - by a short gut syndrome, and some by food allergies/sensitivities.

Any WLS can mess hormonal balances, some more thar others.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/6/17 11:26 am
RNY on 08/05/19

You've probably never heard of it because it's a controversial and poorly-defined diagnosis.

"It has been suggested that symptomatic individuals without biochemical hypoglycemia should be given the diagnosis of idiopathic postprandial syndrome or pseudohypoglycemia, since factors other than hypoglycemia are operative, while giving validity to their symptomatology."

This roughly translates to, "if people are experiencing this for any unexplainable reason, slap this label on it so it has a name." That does NOT mean that everyone experiencing pseudohypoglycemia has the same set of factors, experiences, or causes.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ScottAndrews
on 12/6/17 12:20 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

So you're basically saying what I'm saying only somehow you make it sound like you're actually correcting me.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views