Fainting with Head Injury

ladylost2
on 12/29/17 8:40 pm
RNY on 10/02/17

Today, I fainted in my kitchen and cracked my head super hard. I had to go to the hospital to get stitched up. I have three stitches above my eyebrow ad a collection of steristrips. Now that it is the middle of the night, a Friday on a holiday weekend, it occurs to me that I maybe my NUT should know what I did. Should I call them in the morning or is it ok to wait until my next appointment? I get my stitches out on Wednesday and then I have my 3 month follow up on Friday.

Why did I faint? I was bending over to open the bottom drawer. I had eaten breakfast, but it was time to eat again. Maybe I need more fluids? or carbs? or protein? or I dunno what. My weight loss has been unbelievably fast in these three months. Is it possible to lose it too fast after WLS?

seattledeb
on 12/29/17 11:04 pm

That sounds like a rough start to the weekend. I'd leave a voicemail and definitely increase your fluids.

Take care!

(deactivated member)
on 12/30/17 12:34 am
RNY on 03/26/17

I fainted back in October at a friends 40th birthday (how embarrassing) but discovered that my blood pressure was really low and that standing in one spot too long can make you faint. They also discovered that my sodium was low and suggested that I drink 1/2 a cup of Gatorade each morning. I haven't had any issues since.

I would check in with your clinic so they are aware of your current injury, they also might have some suggestions.

Take care, Countrysweetheart

seattledeb
on 12/30/17 1:34 am

I came off 4 blood pressure meds that first 6 months.

ScottAndrews
on 12/30/17 3:49 am
RNY on 03/20/17

Orthostatic hypotension sounds like your culprit. That's basically a drop in blood pressure from some body movement; most commonly from bending/squatting and then getting up. This is super common and especially in the morning after we've been sleeping and obviously not taking fluids.

Grim_Traveller
on 12/30/17 6:12 am, edited 12/29/17 10:12 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Orthostatc hypotension. It's super common in the first year after WLS.

It's easy for anyone with ablood pressure monitor to check. Lie down for a while, and check your BP. Sit up, then check it again. Wait a coupe of minutes, stand up, and check it again. If it's been dropping, its orthostatic hypotension.

If it's OH, you need more fluids. The some more fluids after that. And a lot more electrolytes to go along with the fluids.

Edited to add: It has nothing to do with food, food frequency, carbs, or anything food related.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/30/17 6:49 am

As Grim said- OH most likely. I get that when I forget to get enough salt and other electrolytes to my food and I don't drink enough. We don't eat a lot post op WLS, and the society believe salt is bad, so a lot of people avoid salt. Yogurt, protein shakes, etc- have very little to none salt. We need sodium to function. Too much may not be good, but not enough- may eventually kill you.

They have sodium pills in most runners/biking stores. I keep some of them specially in summer when I drink more water and have tendency to eat less salty foods.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ladylost2
on 12/30/17 7:02 am
RNY on 10/02/17

Thanks, everyone. I was feeling pretty thirsty yesterday when I woke up and again today. I'll up my fluids and I left a message with the doctor.

dorothy1110
on 12/30/17 7:51 am
RNY on 09/06/17

prayers

seattledeb
on 12/30/17 7:59 am

And remember the one rule of bowling and life is to not fall down.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views