Starting optifast

Stitch83
on 2/4/18 9:58 pm, edited 2/4/18 9:59 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

I am starting my journey with Optifast in the morning! I'm feeling excited about this being the start and getting close to surgery, somewhat curious about the taste and texture, somewhat apprehensive about three weeks of just that and broth and nervous about sticking to it. I am determined not to cheat, and I'm pretty stubborn lol, but I worry about the brain games that will happen as I go through the next three weeks. Any tips or suggestions on how others made it through? Also as excited as I am there are also feelings of being overwhelmed. So much to do in the next three weeks both work wise and at home to get ready for surgery. Plus some worries of can I really do this, what about complications, what if I do things wrong. All likely normal feelings but gaahhh!! Just wanted to throw out some thoughts.

HW: 285 SW: 260 CW: 134 Dr. Grantcharov, St. Michael's

Referral: May 2017 Orientation: June 5/17 Nurse: Aug. 17/17 Doctor/Dietician/SW finished by Dec. 11/17 Surgical Ed. Class: Dec. 18/17 Surgeon: Jan. 9/18 Surgery: February 26, 2018!!

Librarian67
on 2/5/18 4:03 am
RNY on 02/28/17

My surgeon did not require 3 weeks of protein shakes, so I can't speak to that. I did have the liquid diet after surgery and found that SF popsicles were really helpful for the desire to chew. They also count as liquid so that helps.

As for nervousness before surgery, I found that two things helped. First, I started a journal and wrote in it every day about my journey. It is interesting now, about a year later, to go back and read what worried me, what was difficult and what my successes were. The second thing was to stay busy. I found that if I had my hands busy that I wasn't worrying as much. Doesn't work for everyone, but it did for me.

Good luck with your optifast and surgery.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Stitch83
on 2/6/18 5:43 am
RNY on 02/26/18

Thanks! I ended up going over to the the States yesterday since I couldn't find sugar free Popsicles here and bought a cooler full lol! I can have them and broth in the next three weeks as well so hoping that helps. It makes sense that the crunch helps the need to feel like you're chewing something...likely will be really helpful now too!

I also bought a journal, I think you are right a great tool!

Referral: May 2017 Orientation: June 5/17 Nurse: Aug. 17/17 Doctor/Dietician/SW finished by Dec. 11/17 Surgical Ed. Class: Dec. 18/17 Surgeon: Jan. 9/18 Surgery: February 26, 2018!!

The Salty Hag
on 2/5/18 8:06 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I was on Optifast for 30 days, but was also allowed their other products ( one bar and/or soup ) and one food meal per day.

I actually liked the taste of everything I had. I know most people abhor it, but I thought it tasted fine. I didn't need to try to trick myself into drinking it. I only got the vanilla and chocolate shakes-I can't stand strawberry flavored stuff.

If the flavor isn't great for you-ask your surgeon if you can flavoring or extracts ( almond, vanilla, etc ) to help make it taste better. I'd avoid going with pre-sweetened syrups like Torani because the shakes are plenty sweet enough already. If they're too sweet, and your doc is agreeable to it, maybe add in some black coffee ( probably decaf-depending on the surgeon. ) to help cut the sweetness.

The mental struggle in adjusting to a mostly liquid diet was more difficult. My first week on the Opti, my family wanted me to live elsewhere because I was a raging ***** After that first week, things got easier.

Good luck!

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Stitch83
on 2/6/18 5:46 am
RNY on 02/26/18

Wow! 30 days...I'm dreading 21! However was probably helpful you also got one meal. That would make things easier for me. But, I get Popsicles and broth too...and planning to make the best of that lol. They did say I can add flavourings so hoping that helps over time!

The Salty Hag
on 2/6/18 6:10 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Yes, I was so relieved about one solid food meal per day. Being able to have sugar free jello and being able to have an Optifast bar every day was also a big help. I savored getting to use a spoon and fork every day. I would cut that stupid little bar with a knife like I would a steak...hahaha. Just having that little bit of "hand to mouth" action helped made me feel like I wasn't "on a diet", if that makes sense. I'd eat broth with a spoon too...just to feel "normal" and not deprived.

Tom Petty

Stitch83
on 2/6/18 8:15 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Oh man...I didn't even know there was such a thing as an optifast bar! Totally had to look them up lol..yum peanut butter! Wish they offered that at my center in Ontario. Getting some use out of my spoon now with some jello! Although I realized halfway through it probably wasn't helpful to read the what are you eating today thread while having my jello....haha!! All that stuff sounded much better, apparently I enjoy unconsciously teasing myself!

The Salty Hag
on 2/7/18 3:31 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Whoops!

Well, FWIW-you seem to be doing great at this, and in no time, you'll be posting on that thread yourself.

Tom Petty

KatieCJ
on 2/5/18 8:45 am

I'm on day 6 of optifast and it's honestly going very well.

I like both chocolate and vanilla just fine, I drink them with cold water, lots of ice and shake it up in a water bottle (one with a blender ball).

I made jello and bought broth, but so far, I've only had jello a couple of times.

I also make sure to drink a lot of water to stay hydrated.

Day 2 was the hardest, I woke up with a headache and got really hungry after my lunch shake, but got through it.

You can do it!

• Surgery (RNY): February 27th 2018. HW: 350lbs SW: 318lbs CW: 141lbs
Stitch83
on 2/6/18 5:48 am
RNY on 02/26/18

Glad you are doing well on it! It gives me hope lol. I'm not looking forward to the headache/sick part of it but we can get through a day or two of that for the end goal right? Thanks for the encouragement.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views