Patch_UK
on 3/26/18 1:41 am
RNY on 02/14/18

So I bought the ingredients for a fruit smoothie. I was gonna try:

1/2 an avacado

100ml Coconut Milk

handful frozen berries

1/2 - 1 tsp manuka honey

Any T2's tried smoothies? I'm slightly worried that the liquidised berries will hit my BG pretty quickly, causing a spike.

I've been adding 1/2 tsp manuka honey to my morning bullet proof coffee, and it has no impact on my BG (yay).

I did toy with the idea of using sweetener instead of honey - but I feel like artificial sweeteners are more damaging than very small amounts of whole, natural honey.

Anyone doing smoothies?

Writergurl08
on 3/26/18 3:38 am
RNY on 02/15/18

Blueberries and berries in general are fairly low in sugar relatively speaking, however, avacados are high in calories, and I wouldnt drink my calories, except in low calorie protein shakes (or cream in my coffee).

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Patch_UK
on 3/26/18 3:55 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I've struggled calorie wise. Cant get enough food in to keep my energy up. Avocados are one of the high calorie/low sugar foods that I've been eating.

ScottAndrews
on 3/26/18 7:13 am, edited 3/26/18 12:13 am
RNY on 03/20/17

You likely won't find too many folks drinking fruit smoothies with honey a month out of surgery.

Its pretty much the opposite of what you should be doing.

CJ On Orcas
on 3/26/18 8:25 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I have/had Type 2 diabetes, been at normal levels since RnY 18 months ago. I used to do fruit smoothies before surgery. Since, I have not. Personally I would not do the berries, the honey, and I would be careful with the coconut milk. Carbs still do raise my BS levels now. Avocado, on the other hand, is great. It adds fat that my bosy needs.

I count calories, and at a month out I think I maxed out at 500-600 calories a day. I tried to get 60 grams of protein a day, and kept my carbs below 50 grams a day. Most important was protein, and I am not sure how much protein is in your smoothies. I would substitute greek yogurt if you can tolerate lactose, or Fairlife milk if you cannot?

Just my experience.

ScaleSkater
on 3/26/18 10:04 am

I probably eat one slice of cantaloupe and maybe one apple a week - Maybe. There isn't a lot of carb room for smoothies in my daily tracker. As a matter of fact, my program recommends against adding anything into protein shakes other than water and/or milk, protein powder and ice (there actually was a bit of debating if Blenders should be allowed). They really are fearful of the smoothie mindset in my program. I once got in a 20 minute argument about adding almond extract and SF Torani syrup into my shakes. So given one of the largest Chicagoland programs hates the term smoothies - be careful!

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

jenorama
on 3/26/18 10:30 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Avocados are good, but I would avoid the smoothies. You're barely a month out of surgery and the tiredness you're feeling is likely not calorie related. Surgery takes a huge toll on us and the effects can last for weeks. It was a good 6-8 weeks after mine before I started feeling like myself.

Right now you are literally a walking bag of calories. Your body will take what it needs from what you have stored and you will lose weight. Spend this time focusing on your fluids and protein, not the next fad.

Also, for what it's worth, I use Splenda like I'm afraid they're going to stop making it and I have no negative heath effects from it. As a T2 person, you don't need me to harp on how you need to avoid added sugars, right?

Jen

MarinaGirl
on 3/26/18 11:40 am, edited 3/26/18 4:44 am

I think your smoothie recipe is fine but full disclosure, I am not T2. I eat a lot of avocados and believe they are a healthy addition to ones diet. I also drink smoothies on occasion but I add unflavored protein powder (Unjury) to boost the nutrition. I rarely add sweetener to my smoothies but I do not think the little bit of honey you are adding is an issue, assuming it does not lead to cravings or BG problems. I too abstain from artificial sweeteners and think they are worse than very small amounts of sugar. Everyone is different; there is no one size fits all with regards to tolerance of complex carbs post-op, such as fruit and vegetables, as well as consumption of healthy smoothies. The main challenge with smoothies is the ease of drinking too many calories at one time, so try to keep your portions small to minimize that risk.

Grim_Traveller
on 3/26/18 12:02 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

No fruit. No smoothies. Protein.

You are barely out if surgery. It takes a little while to fully heal. In the neantime, don't go down the fruit and smoothie path.

You DON'T need more calories. We had surgery because we are carrying around a million extra caloiries we sre trying to get ru d of. We want to burn those calories, not add to them.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Julia S.
on 3/29/18 1:23 pm - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

I'm not T2, but had RNY on 2-12-18. Personally I want something to chew, no shakes, no smoothies, no liquid diet for me. After 5 weeks of nothing but liquids I have no desire to drink any of my food. But that's me, we are all different. I use unsweetened coconut milk in my mocha's and have not had any issues. But I make it with unsweetened cocoa and truvia. 1C unsweetened coconut milk has 20g of carbs,1g sugar and 4.5g of fat but it is a good fat. I've had breast cancer so soy is not an option, and the other milks do not taste good to me and I'm lactose intolerant.

I guess I've never understood the smoothie's appeal.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 494 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 394 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 382 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 320 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 207 views