Depression after surgery

AvsChic18
on 6/11/18 7:34 am
RNY on 02/01/18

Hello my fellow RNY'ers. I have a question. I have suffered from depression my whole life. I am on anti-depressants and have been for quite some time. The past month I have been having a lot of days where I am in the dumps and really sad. I have been doing so good with my feelings that now I am worried.

So, do you think this is just part of the journey... the emotional roller coaster I was told it was going to be OR maybe my medicine isn't being absorbed well enough?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Librarian67
on 6/11/18 7:58 am
RNY on 02/28/17

First, let me congratulate you on being proactive in caring for yourself. I know that it is hard to ask for help when you are struggling.

Honestly, you could be struggling for any number or reasons. Yes, many anti-depressants are not absorbed the same way and dosages must be changed or meds changed. I would have a long talk with your providers about whether there are other options available to try.

I have also read about many people here on OH who struggle emotionally after surgery. I have heard that the weight loss causes hormonal fluctuations that settle down as time goes on. I know personally that I struggled with the new life after surgery for reasons like: my body was changing and I felt unsure of myself; sometimes I wanted to eat crap and felt frustrated that my pouch and my plan was so limited; and change is hard work and surgery is not the easy way out like some people will tell you. Also the fact that your body is pending so much energy on healing can be completely exhausting. I found alot of solace in exercising. Exercise doesn't necessarily make you lose weight but it did help me to feel stronger in my body and proud of what I could do now. Also during the vigorous exercise, my mind relaxes and helps to work off the stress of the day.

Just my thoughts on the process.

BIG hugs on finding a satisfactory solution!

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

TheRealMeWithin
on 6/11/18 8:37 am - Canada
RNY on 06/02/17

I agree with all of this, but especially "I would have a long talk with your providers about whether there are other options available to try".

Definitely speak to someone soon. This is SO important.

Surgery Jun.2/17 at TWH ----- HW 215 - SW 197.2 - GW 125 CW 124.6

Pre-Op=8.8lbs --- Optifast= 8.4 (was on it for 9 days due to cancellation)

M1 - 20.6... M2 -10.2... M3 -8.0... M4 -5.8... M5 -9.0... M6 -5.2... M7 -7.0... M8 -2.2... M9 -0.9... M10 -2.6... M11-0.6... M12-2.0

https://trendweight.com/u/6ffd55753da24d/

JB1114
on 6/11/18 8:32 am - Grain Valley, MO

I have anxiety and have taken meds for years. I think talking to your doctor should your first step and do it right away so you can feel better. The fact the meds may not be absorbing might be the issue.

Take care.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

ScottAndrews
on 6/11/18 9:37 am
RNY on 03/20/17

If you're anything like me, you ate to make yourself feel better. That's no longer really an option.

IMHO, depression meds only do so much. There are studies that show they only perform slightly better than placebos. Regardless, exercise and meditation/spirituality can be extremely helpful.

jlevy
on 6/11/18 12:10 pm
RNY on 11/01/17

That's misleading at best. Antidepressants are often effective when prescribed and taken appropriately. They are as effective as talk therapy. It would be great if talk therapy were as available and accessible as medication in the US, but that's not the world we live in at the moment.

Don't take my word for it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0087089/

Oxford Comma Hag
on 6/19/18 7:49 am

Thanks, I'm cured. /sarcasm/

Please don't Tom Cruise the OP.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/19/18 9:25 am
RNY on 12/31/13

The OP advised that she's suffered lifelong depression.

Not situational. Not post-surgical. LIFE LONG. She's been on medication for "quite some time."

Your remark that antidepressants "only do so much" is disingenuous, irresponsible, and bluntly-- dangerous considering the context.

One might tell a Type II diabetic that proper diet and exercise can bring blood sugar levels to a normal range as well as medications/insulin --- but, to advise a Type I diabetic the same is true is deadly.

To advise someone who has been on antidepressants for lifelong depression that has reached out because her meds may be failing that "meds are only slightly better than placebos" is absolutely insulting and ignorant.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

ScottAndrews
on 6/19/18 1:05 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

IMHO = In My Honest Opinion. I didn't/wouldn't tell her to stop meds and I didn't make those studies up. OP asked for advice.

Personally i was off meds after surgery and felt symptoms return/worsen. Eating 500 cals a day for months on end can certainly take a toll especially when you're used to comforting yourself with food. I did find some relief in exercise and meditation. Perhaps it was just not being MO. I bet if i asked a psychiatrist they'd say "Who knows?" But again... these are just opinions.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/19/18 1:09 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You didn't bother to provide links to this research. We have no proof that you're not making it up.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 470 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 429 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 361 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 445 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 361 views