Healthy snacking Ideas and Encouragement

NYMom222
on 8/22/18 6:33 am
RNY on 07/23/14

At six months out I didn't think of snacking. I thought of everything as a meal 5-6 meals a day that follow the same rule- protein first.

For later in the evening I wouldn't want to be chewing on a steak. Personally I would focus on Greek yogurt or protein powder. I have also used premier protein as hot chocolate.

Greek yogurt I recommend Fage. Very thick. I like to flavor with a tablespoon of SF pudding mix or vanilla extract and sweetener.

Protein pudding: one premier plus enough milk to equal 2 cups + one box SF pudding mix. About 300 calories and 36g protein for whole batch. Divide into portions.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Candrews1
on 8/22/18 6:56 am - Jackson, TN
RNY on 04/17/15

Im not sure how great they are, but I like eating raw baby carrots before I go to bed. They are low calorie and really filling. If Im wanting something sweet, I get a spoon full of peanut butter and "dip" my carrots in that. Not sure if its the best but its what I use.

Height=5"4' Age=49 RNY=04/17/2015

HW=285, CW=205, LW=197, GW=195

My exercise motto-Further or faster!!!

Partlypollyanna
on 8/22/18 7:59 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

This is probably a stupid question but do you just heat up a chocolate RTD to make the protein-shake-hot chocolate? Because I have thought about HC instead of decaf or tea in the evenings (calories/protein permitting of course) and wasn't sure if I could just nuke some of my premiere or not.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

NYMom222
on 8/23/18 5:08 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes you can just nuke your Premier. Just stir occasionally as you do it. It will get a skin like real hot chocolate if heated too fast.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Partlypollyanna
on 8/23/18 7:30 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I see this in my near future!!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Emiepie
on 8/22/18 7:21 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Reading through the thread I can see that you have already received some very good advice but I just wanted to offer some support. Remember you are worth it and you CAN do this. Do you have any local support groups in your area that you could attend? Best of luck to you, hope you continue to find knowledge and support here.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Jester
on 8/22/18 10:07 am
RNY on 03/21/16

My response is similar to H.A.L.A.B.'s. I also struggle with night eating. From the time I have dinner until I go to bed, I struggle to not eat constantly. I tried structured meals and snacking throughout the day. I tried larger meals and no snacking, but whatever I did, I still wanted to eat a ton at night.

I also adjusted my schedule. I now eat my "breakfast" between 11am-12pm, then I eat lunch between 3pm-4pm. And because I stay budy at work, I don;t feel compelled to snack. This allows me to push dinner bac****il 8pm or later, which minimizes my window for night eating. I then allow myself to continue to eat, but I eat low calorie-dense food, so I can consume a large quantity, but it usually adds up to only a few hundred extra calories.

I still struggle with the head games, as I feel like I've "screwed up". Every day I step on the scale thinking "man, I did some damage last night", yet everyday I continue to maintain my weight (I'm well in to maintenance mode, so this is my goal, not weight loss).

I talked through this with my therapist as it still doesn't feel right. She asked me two questions: "is the food you're eating on-plan?" and "are you gaining weight?". When I answered "yes" and "no" respectively she said "so what exactly is the problem?"

I play that conversation over and over in my head to try and remind myself that while my eating patterns may be different than others/most, they aren't necessarily wrong.

Moral of the story it to try and figure out what works for you to meet your goals and worry less about what you "should" be doing. It's not easy, and will probably take some trial and error, but I'm sure you can figure it out.