Stumped and wondering

mirandaF
on 10/14/18 1:38 pm
RNY on 08/07/17

So this last thursday I had to go in for an EGD because my surgeon was concerned that I'm having trouble with all foods but lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions. (salad fixings) Everything else no matter how little I eat, and I start to get sick or have symptoms like dumping syndrome. Well I had the procedure done and the doctor who performed it, said my pouch and everything around it looked amazing. He was impressed how well it looked and said he could not believe that I was already a year and 2 months past my surgery date.

He said I had no stretch what so ever, and except for one spot that looked suspicious, he took a biopsy and is testing it for H-Pylori. So for now, they are still unsure why every other food is making me feel like I get a whopping dose of dumping syndrome every time I try to eat.

If I try to eat dense protein I can only eat 3-4 bites. I eat tiny pieces, I chew very well, but after just 3-4 bites with 2 min between each bite. I hurt something fierce as though I ate way, WAY too much. And then within 20-25 min I feel like I just ate a few sugary cookies and now I'm paying the piper in terms of dumping syndrome. And this is with any food but the few I mentioned above.

Even yogurt, cottage cheese, etc... does this to me. I can drink water, but I'm not able to get near the amount they want me to. Because I get 2 drinks down me and I have to wait 30 min to drink more. I feel stuffed, and if I force myself to drink faster, I'm absolutely miserable. I would still never change having this surgery.

For the first time in over 20+ years I'm wearing a size 12 and I am starting to feel a little pretty again. But I'm really beginning to feel a bit tired with only getting to eat a certain set food lol. Lets hope more answers are found soon.

Lucile777
on 10/14/18 2:06 pm

Sorry to hear this. I hope this get sorted out soon. Do you think it might be a stricture? Reactive hypoglycemia?

RNY Oct. 27/17. HW 289; SW 285; GW 144; LW: 161 CW: 196 FML: Fighting regain :(

Au_Contraire
on 10/14/18 2:45 pm

Sorry to read about this! I hope that you receive an accurate and easily treatable diagnosis very, very soon. Hang in there!

Laura in Texas
on 10/14/18 6:05 pm

If your bariatric surgeon cannot figure out what is wrong I hope you go to someone else for a second opinion. What you are experiencing is not normal.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/15/18 8:40 am

I had some of the symptoms when I had hernia, twisted small intestine, with partial blockage. The problem was not detectable with numerous ct- scans. I had surgery that fixed the issue.

That..and I also was severely constipated, having a BM every day. I was going, just not going enough, so over time things got really backed up.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/15/18 4:23 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If your surgeon doesn't have answers, it's time for a second opinion. I would talk to a different surgeon, if there's one in your area, or maybe a gastroenterologist.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

mirandaF
on 10/19/18 3:23 pm
RNY on 08/07/17

Waiting the next 1-2 weeks to see if the biopsy he took shows up with H-Pylori. If it is not that, then I'm not sure what else they can do to figure out what is going on. I just dropped 6 lbs in less than a week, so I'll see what happens. I would not even begin to know where else to look for another pair of eyes / with knowledge to begin seeing what is going on. As far as I know I have no stricture, my esophagus and my pouch look amazing according to the doctor who did my EGD.

I had a abdomen x-ray and nothing showed on there as to having any blockages or anything. No CT scan, just a normal x-ray. But I feel like I'm out of options. Has anyone else here ever felt their food move through their gut? I chew every bite 25-30 times before swallowing (when I actually try to eat) and I can feel it move through my gut, I can feel certain areas when it hits them and oh man do those spots hurt. Then next thing you know you hear nothing but grumbles and an obscene amount of noise coming from my tummy.

And boy does it sometimes cause me to double over in pain, and if i place my hand over those areas and press in all i feel is bubbles (like when your really gassy and it is moving through your intestines). Not sure how else to explain what is going on. But I wish on wi**** would stop lol.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 489 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 335 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 100 views
Recent Topics