FL Insurance

irishangel88
on 3/27/19 8:58 am

Hello,

I am considering having the Roux-en-Y Bypass surgery, but my insurance doesn't cover it. In Florida it is not required to be covered. Does anyone have any suggestions on a supplemental that may help with paying for the surgery? I have looked for a few days and the ones I have found have an enrollment period in November, which is so far away.

Thank you in advance

Karen Renee
on 3/27/19 10:55 am - Winter Park, FL

The only one I know of would be Florida Blue, BC/BS, Blue Options. I'm not really sure but worth the try. If you don't mind what Insurance do you presently have?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/27/19 2:54 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

There are likely many different employer-sponsored and open-marketplace "Blue Options" plans, and I would guess that not all of them cover WLS. There's so much variation!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

irishangel88
on 3/28/19 7:50 am

I have BC/BS but my particular coverage with my employer doesn't cover bariatric procedures. I am going to speak with a surgeon, hopefully he could direct me to an insurance that will cover it. I just don't think I could afford $400-$500 a month for insurance. Which I guess is a big concern of mine.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/27/19 2:56 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Have you considered having your surgery in Mexico? The self-pay costs there are generally MUCH lower than they are in the USA, and there are lots of people here on OH who have taken that route. I think I've seen packages that put the whole surgery at around 7 or 8k?

There's even a whole sub-forum where people talk about the different providers they've used. Maybe that would be worth a look?

https://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/mexico/

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics