Food addiction

slrm2m2
on 10/9/19 1:28 pm - Canada

Anyone currently post-RNY and working a 12 step program for Food Addiction?

What program are you in - Overeaters Anonymous (OA), FA (Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous, Food Addicts Anonymous (FAA) or Greysheeters Anonymous?

How is it working for you? How does having a gastric bypass impact your definition of abstinence? Is it hard to find a sponsor that has understanding of RNY that can work with you?

Send me a PM if you are open to chatting more and possibly becoming 12 step program friends. I'm attending FA currently, but struggling with their definition of abstinence re: the food plan, quantities and timing of meals. Would love another RNY 12 stepper to talk about this with.

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

momyshaver
on 10/10/19 4:50 am
VSG on 06/28/17

I am not in any of those programs although I have an understanding of how they work. I think it would be more likely to find someone in an online group (I think they exist for these groups) more than in person because you are looking for something so specific. Yet, having that support in our real life can be so valuable and often I think addiction has some part at least, in a search for connection. I think it would be difficult to find what you are looking for in that setting and you might find more help in a bariatric therapist, who would also have a working knowledge of these programs. I can understand the desire of a mentor or sponsor in this situation though. I guess that is what I feel like I find with the members who are years out from their surgeries. Those are the mentors because they are the ones who have come before me and I am realizing the struggles I have faced are nothing new. People have come, endured, and come through one way or the other and some of them were kind enough to stick around and share their experiences here. ;)

As far as abstinence goes, I think the daily meal threads can be helpful for that. It is a type of accountability. That is what abstinence means to me. It means that when my family is eating candy and offering me "just a bite", I say no and stick to my scheduled meal, (sardines on a bed of spinach and mushrooms with a side of 2 calcium supplements...yum yum). It means, "just because I can doesn't mean I should" and eating and moving in a way that honors my body and what it needs. Radical honesty and self accountability.

Anyways, I hope you find what you are looking for. There is a lot of good information and support here.

slrm2m2
on 10/10/19 6:43 pm - Canada

Thanks for your reply. Loved these words of yours:

just because I can doesn't mean I should" and eating and moving in a way that honors my body and what it needs. Radical honesty and self accountability

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

White Dove
on 10/10/19 7:51 am - Warren, OH

Do people in Canada use Groupon? That would be one place to look.

My surgeon offers a back on track program, but it is not 12 step. At one point, he asked if I wanted to work for him with facilitating that program. I attended some sessions and felt it is an excellent program, but I did not feel I had the training to deal properly with psychological issues.

Surgery helps you to get the weight off, but after the initial loss, it is a purely mental exercise to maintain long-term. I also still belong to Weigh****chers and have been a lifetime member since 1973.

For a while, Weigh****chers considered having a program for people who had had weight loss surgery. Their current points system is excellent for us. One of my friends joined Weigh****chers when I had my surgery. She is faithful to meetings and the program and lost 100 pounds without surgery. She has maintained that loss for many years now.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

ScaleSkater
on 10/11/19 7:30 am

My therapist runs a 12 step program modified for bariatrics. One thing he always says - you are not addicted to "food." You are addicted to heroin or his metaphor for white processed flour/sugar based foods. That assumes you aren't binge eating asparagus in your closet at night to hid your habit. He wants people to establish a normal relationship with food and deal specifically with the white devil. Good luck!

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

Most Active
Recent Topics