Extended release meds.

Nancy Geoghegan
on 9/19/20 3:16 pm - Lincoln University, PA
RNY on 01/23/18

Hi All. For those out 3 + years have you found that extended release medications have worked for you?

Nancy Geoghegan

Tekish
on 9/19/20 3:55 pm
On September 19, 2020 at 10:16 PM Pacific Time, Nancy Geoghegan wrote:

Hi All. For those out 3 + years have you found that extended release medications have worked for you?

Yes and no.

It depends on where the med is absorbed and how bypassed you are and other variables we don't know.

Slow-Fe, time released Iron, works well enough for me.

Time release pain meds, not so much.

I haven't actually taken much other time-release stuff that I recall.

Most meds seem to work about half as long as intended, for me.

Most of it comes down to trial and error.

Good luck,

Tek

White Dove
on 9/20/20 2:02 am - Warren, OH

I have never experimented with them. I know that I have RNY and refuse to take anything that is extended release. I do not have a normal stomach or digestive system so would never rely on a medicine that is supposed to sit in my stomach and dissolve slowly.

I am my own advocate and would quickly remind any doctor who prescribed extended release medicine that I do not take anything in that form. It may be less convenient to take medicine on a schedule, but that is part of the price I pay for having the surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Teenie
on 9/20/20 11:23 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

No I have had problems with Dramamine. If I take a time release it releases all at once.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

Tekish
on 9/20/20 1:48 pm
On September 20, 2020 at 6:23 PM Pacific Time, Teenie wrote:

No I have had problems with Dramamine. If I take a time release it releases all at once.

Side note on Dramamine [Not directed at anyone in particular]:

Depending on the specific Dramamine, it is either Meclizine or Dimenhydrinate. They each have basically the same primary and side effects. Studies indicate Dimenhydrinate works better.

I take a bunch of meds at bedtime and sometimes all those drugs conspire to create a bit of tummy rebellion. Meclizine or Dimenhydrinate help by 1) Settling the feeling of tummy upset; 2) May induce sleepiness which at bedtime can be helpful; and 3) May cause dry mouth which can be an additional push to drink.

I've always found Dramamine to be over priced and the packaging inconvenient. My preference if I can find it is Walmart's Equate brand "Motion Sickness Relief" 100 pills at $4.

I am not a Doctor. Check with your Docs and do your research before you take any medication.

Good luck,

Tek

Most Active
Recent Topics